16
th - 26th April
 |
| Big Buddha |
The first
day in Nha Trang I walked a lot. It’s quite a large city and the touristy spots
are quite spread out. Not that there’s really all that much to see. It’s more of a beach
resort kind of place for Russians. So many Russians here. Apparently they have
just started cheap flights here from Moscow. The first place I visited was Long
Son Pagod.
 |
| Nha Trang |
 |
| Lazy Buddha |
 |
| Entrance |
It was a
nice little place to walk around but nothing special. I went to a big shopping
centre after this and I found a Primark/K Mart type shop so I bought a few
things.
 |
| St Mary's Cathedral |
 |
| Inside |
 |
| Vinpearl park |
The Roman
Catholic Church was quite impressive in the middle of the city. The highlight
of Nha Trang is the Van Pearl Amusement park which has lots of rides and a
waterpark. The waterpark was closed whilst I was there so I didn’t get to go. It saved me some money I suppose
 |
| The beach |
 |
| No idea what this is for |
The beach
here is very nice but I didn’t go in the sea. I don’t really know why. Just
wasn’t really feeling Nha Trang. Plus I’d seen such epic beaches already so a beach
that’s merely ‘very good’ is a come down.
The hostel I
was staying at had a free beer happy hour. That’s as much beer as you can drink in
an hour absolutely free which is a great idea. I suppose it’s like giving out
free tea and coffee as it costs about the same. I got chatting to an Aussie guy
and a girl who was asking him questions and tips for when she visited
Australia. I found it rather amusing that I could give better advice than he
could.
I didn’t do too
much the next day. As I said, I wasn’t really feeling Nha Trang and I was due a
chilled day out of the heat. It wasn’t completely chilled. I went for a run as
the sun was setting. It was a bit difficult to navigate the many people walking
up and down the path next to the beach. This was the last run I’ve been on as it’s
either too hot or too busy or there just isn’t anywhere to go. Its been a little frustrating.
 |
| Outdoor Opera |
Something I
did notice though was an outside opera show. I reckon this was some sort of
preview for show inside the building behind them. It wasn’t very good but it
was sort of hard to hear them. They did the typical Asian thing and turn the
volume up as high as it will go so that the sound is distorted and it sounds
awful.
As I was
enjoying my free beer I saw a few familiar faces. Half of the group I had met
in Dalat had checked in. I ended up following them to a bar in town that was
super expensive and not at all fun. I don’t know why they keep going to these
shit places.
 |
| Child seat |
On my way to
the train station the following day for the overnight train to Danang I noticed
this child seat on a scooter. I’d seen this a couple of times on the road and I
think it’s hilarious. I suppose it’s somewhat safer than without it but still,
health and safety nightmare right there.
 |
| Waiting for the train |
Having had
experience of the overnight buses in Vietnam I was hopeful that the overnight
trains would be better. The bus from Dalat to Nha Trang was only a day bus but
it was so frustrating that a vowed never to get a bus again! I now absolutely
hate bus journeys and never want to step foot on a bus again!
 |
| Three story bunks |
At least on
the train you can lie flat. I bought a hard sleeper (soft sleepers were sold
out). It was in a cabin with 6 beds which I thought would be fine until I
realised there were 10 people in there! There was a Vietnamese family of 6 in
there. A woman, an old lady and four children. As soon as I saw this my heart
sank. Thankfully it wasn’t too bad and I was able to get a little bit of sleep
before I arrived early in Danang.
The hostel I
stayed at was the smelliest place I have ever come across. It would be a nice
hostel if it wasn’t for the overwhelming stench of wet dog. I can put up with a
lot (most of Asia smells anyway) but this was extreme. It made me feel sick after a
while. The staff didn’t seem to notice it when I mentioned it. They must be
used to it.
 |
| Dragon Bridge |
 |
| The head |
After I
checked in I had a little wander around the city to get my bearings. I went
over to the Dragon Bridge that spits fire at the weekend. I would see that
later on. I didn’t do too much as I was quite tired and I was waiting until the
next day when I hired a scooter to drive the Hai Van Pass.
 |
| Epic! |
 |
| Old bunker |
I had been
in a bit of a slump after Nha Trang and being boring but this was definitely the
cure! I had an incredible day driving over this mountain passage. The road
winds up the side of the mountain right next to the sea and peaks at an old war
bunker.
 |
| At the top of the pass |
I saw
another bunker a bit higher up the hill so I set off on foot. I regretted this
after a while as the road kept going. It was a super steep road and I didn’t
want to go back to the highway to get my bike so I just carried on walking.
 |
| Incredible view |
 |
| More fun to be had |
The view
from up here was simply stunning. I could see all the way back to Danang and
the road winding its way back down the other side towards Hue. I stayed up here
a little while having some fun playing with my camera. I wanted to make an awesome
video.
 |
| Action shot |
 |
| Goat |
I continued
along the road and got this amazingly timed photo as I was driving by. Ok I
might have been stationary. I had stopped to take pictures of the goats all
over the road that were dodging bikes and big fuel tankers (fuel tankers aren’t allowed
in the tunnel).
 |
| The Top Gear View |
I think I
found the exact spot the Clarkson, Hammond and May stopped for a bit of
filming. The pass featured on the Top Gear Vietnam special so you know it’s a
good road. I ate my lunch on the wall here taking in the view which is one of
the best I’ve seen in Vietnam. The good news was I had to drive all the way
back so I got to do it again. I did it a bit faster this time to really get a
thrill.
 |
| Climbing Marble Mountain |
Back in town
I visited the Marble Mountain which is a set of huge rocks sticking out of the
town. There’s a lot of marble in them, hence the name. I parked up outside this
woman’s shop. I managed to leave the keys in and a small woman came running up
behind me waving them at me.
 |
| A bell |
 |
| More temples |
At the top
of the stair was a small temple overlooking the town. I had a little look
around before heading to the caves I had heard so much about.
 |
| Heading in to the main cave |
 |
| Argh scary |
 |
| More templey stuff |
I was quite
surprised at the size of the biggest cave given that the whole mountain didn’t
look all that big. It wouldn't even really call it a mountain, more of a very large rock. There was a small temple in there with a few statues.
 |
| Big hole in the wall |
 |
| Smaller hole in the wall to climb out of |
 |
| Squeeze |
 |
| Just for the view |
My favourite
bit was a small cave that had a large crack at the back of it. In this crack there was a small gap you could squeeze yourself throuhh and on to the top of the mountain. I
followed a bunch of locals that were doing this and there was a pretty decent
view from the top.
 |
| Bigger temple. They're all the same |
 |
| Spooky Buddha |
Past another
temple I found another cave that didn’t have anybody in. I looked around it and
this Buddha statue seemed to come lurking out of the shadows at me. It was
quite creepy although the photo doesn’t show it.
 |
| Cool dragons |
I went back
to the smelly hostel for one more night. I checked out the next day and found a
different hostel just around the corner that didn’t smell. I wasn’t able to
check in so early in the day but I was able to hire a motorbike from them so
off I went again to explore some more of the area.
 |
| Another temple entrance |
 |
| Huge Goddess of Mercy statue |
This time I
went over to Son Tra Mountain otherwise known as Monkey Mountain. Its home to
rare species of monkey that can only be found on this peninsular. I didn’t see
any but I wasn’t really looking. The main thing to see here is the Goddess of
Mercy which is absolutely massive. She’s almost 70 metres high and can be seen
for miles.
 |
| Even bigger temple |
 |
| Cool Bonsai Tree |
 |
| STOP! In the name of lov...Buddha |
 |
| I sense a disturbance in the force |
There is a big
temple here which is worth a little look around. There’s lots of bonsai trees
which look pretty cool (just realised I've been calling them Bondi trees for ages) and a number of Buddha statues. I don’t think it was the
intention of the maker to have them look comical but I thought they looked very
funny.
 |
| More epic views |
 |
| Up the mountain |
Moving on,
this peninsular is similar to the area I explored the day before with a road
hugging a steep coastline. A drove to the end before turning onto the mountain
road that goes up to the top and along the spine of the mountain. This road was
also awesome to drive along if a little scary. It was steep and twisty and
there was no way of knowing if there was anything coming the other way but it
was quiet so no near misses.
 |
| Danang |
 |
| Some sort of board game |
There’s a
lookout point at the very top that had a statue of some sort of traditional
game. I had seen this being played a few times. There would be a crowd of about
20 people all trying to watch or play. I don’t know how many players it has but they
all seemed to be involved. This statue didn’t tell me anything about what the
game actually was though.
 |
| The mountain road |
I made my
way back to the hostel so I could check in properly. I got chatting to a guy
who invited himself along to my afternoon excursion to Hoi An. It’s ok that he
did this. I’ve done it a few times, just ask to come along knowing it would be
rude of them to say no. So off we went.
 |
| Hoi An |
 |
| Old Japanese bridge |
Hoi An is
known for being quite a traditional town but to me it just seemed very
touristy! Every house was a shop of some sort and each shop was selling the
same stuff. The most famous thing here is the Japanese Covered Bridge which was
rammed with people.
 |
| Japanese Covered Bridge |
This bridge
is almost three hundred years old which is rather impressive. Obviously it’s
had renovation work over the years but still, its very old.
 |
| The streets of Hoi An |
We had food
after the bridge. A big thing to see in Hoi An is the lanterns on the river at
night. There were still four hours until the sun went down and I wasn’t too
bothered so I decided to head back. The guy I was with did too (can’t remember
his name).
 |
| Chaotic driving |
That night I
got chatting to some German girls who were playing the game of Kabul which is
my new favourite card game and I wanted to join in. I’d never seen it before
but this was the second time I’d played it in just a few weeks. They had a
different name for it and some different rules but it was essentially the same.
 |
| Nice street lights |
I still had
a couple of days in Danang where I essentially just hung out for a while. There
was a power cut the next day and there was an Asian guy who was freaking out
because he couldn’t get online. I thought it was a bit extreme but once the
power came back on I realised he was trying to locate his IPhone and needed the PC.
 |
| Pretty lights |
 |
| The dragon bridge |
 |
| Ready to spit fire |
 |
| Crowded |
The final
night in Danang I went over to the dragon bridge to see it spit fire. This
happens twice on a Friday and twice on a Saturday but there was still an awful
lot of people squashed onto the pavement waiting for the show.
 |
| Burn! |
 |
| Freeze |
 |
| Getting wet |
The
fireballs coming from the mouth of the dragon were hot and impressive but I
wasn’t expecting it to start firing water from its mouth as I went running for
cover. There was a man in the middle who was loving life in his raincoat. There
were a number of boats in the river watching the show too and it made one of my
favourite travel photos.
 |
| Sellable |
 |
| Train over the pass |
 |
| More mountain scenery |
 |
| Awesome |
Having
already done the Hai Van Pass on the way to Hue I knew what I was in for. The
scenery when taking the train was just as impressive as the road had been. This time I
took my bag with me and went all the way to Hue. The pass marks the old border
point from the south to the north so I was now officially in the north.
 |
| Hue |
 |
| Old fortress city |
 |
| With the moat |
I had an
early night before I went out exploring Hue. There isn’t a whole lot to see
here either, just a central fortress. It was pretty cool to look around but it didn’t
take me too long.
 |
| The inner moat |
 |
| Portable kitchen |
This was
quite a common site in Vietnam. Women carrying a portable kitchen down the
street to their favourite selling spot.
 |
| The inner fortress gate |
 |
| Big flag pole |
They were
setting up for Hue festival which would be on a couple of weeks later. I reckon
it would have been good. Everyone was talking about it and there was a lot of
setting up going on so it seems a big deal.
 |
| Buffalo in the road |
My brief stop
off in Hue was over. I had a tour booked in Phong Nha that I had to get to so I
got in a minivan to take me there. I really didn’t want to be on a bus again
but it was considerably cheaper than the train and it would be door to door. The bus ride was
actually very enjoyable. There were only six people so we each had plenty of room and we had one big group conversation whilst we dodged buffaloes in the
road. Two of the group were doing the same tour as me but starting a day later
meaning I would see them on the return journey.
 |
| Welcome to Phong Nha |
We arrived
in Phong Nha just in time for a beautiful sunset. We asked but our driver wouldn’t
stop so that we could take photos. I just had to hang out of the window.
 |
| Phong Nha |
 |
| Epic Scenery |
 |
| In the setting sun |
Phong Nha is
right up in the mountains and looks beautiful. I wouldn’t be able to explore the
local area too much as the bulk of my time will be spent on a rather expensive
tour to a cave in the middle of the jungle. It’s one of the best things I’ve ever
done and it absolutely deserves its own chapter…
No comments:
Post a Comment