14
th
– 18
th December 2015
Now
officially car-less, I had taken the bus to Alice Springs. I had planned to drive
around the area but as I don’t own a car anymore I would not be able to do
everything I wanted to do. The MacDonald Ranges for example. To see
Uluru I would have to take a tour which turned out to be a very good thing
indeed. I met some great people and had an awesome time. It just so happens
that the bus dropped me off just next to The Rock Tour office which was the company
I wanted to book with.
I spent the
day organising myself and booking various things. The Rock Tour did pick ups
and drop offs at both Alice Springs airport and Uluru Airport so I needed to
figure out where I wanted to be and when. Once that was done I went into the
town to explore. I had a very random small world experience when I bumped into
Cindy who was a medic on Ruapehu in New Zealand. She saw me
first and it took me a second to place her. It was quite out of context. She
had just signed up for 6 months at the hospital in Alice. We had a brief catch
up before I needed to get some food.
 |
| Alice Springs |
I walked up
to the war memorial for sunset which I was told was the best time to go. It was
a really good view of the town. It seemed like there was a huge gateway to the
south and I couldn’t wait to go through it. I got very excited about my tour
which would start the next morning. It was the last thing in Australia I wanted
to do. The last thing to tick off my list.
 |
| The Rock Tour bus |
There was a
very early pickup the next day. There was a bit of a panic when I couldn’t find
the little bit of paper that had the key code on to open the padlocked gate.
You couldn’t climb over because of the barbed wire. I eventually found someone
awake that knew the code and the bus arrived seconds later. I said hello to
everyone but no one was up for chatting until after our first stop.
 |
| The Marmot |
 |
| The magical frog |
Our tour
guide was called Ben. I think he was born in the UK, raised in New Zealand and
now lives and works in Australia. He was a really cool guy. He asked 9
questions that we all had to come up to the front and answer. What’s your name?
Where you from? What animal would you be? What special power would you have?
Etc. My answer to the animal/special power question was that I would be that
Marmot that keeps shouting “ALAN ALAN ALAN!” and teleport next to Alan so he
could stop fucking yelling! We then had to draw this on our window.
 |
| The crew |
It was a
long drive to Uluru so we all chatted and got to know each other. I moved
to the front of the bus because that’s where all the chatty people were sitting
and I was in need of a bit of social after a couple of weeks in the car by
myself. There was good mix of people. A big character in the group was Marta
from Spain. I think she said had once worked in Pakistan which was interesting.
There were a few Germans, a few Swedes, another couple of English and four
people from Myanmar.
I was excited to meet the people from Myanmar as I’ve
never met anyone from there before and that country is on my to-do list. We
picked them up from Uluru and Ben, our guide, told us to try and engage with
them. He was under the impression, as I was, that they would be quite shy
people and not be able to speak all that much English but we were quite wrong.
They were really chatty, spoke very good English and we really nice people.
They totally sold me on Myanmar and now I’m definitely going.
 |
| Finally seen it! |
We stopped
for lunch at the campsite where we would be spending the night. There was a
viewpoint of Uluru so I went to get a view of the thing I’d been wanting to see
since I saw Jeopardy on CBBC about 12 years ago! (It had something to do with
Aliens, but it was set in Australia).
 |
| Big and Orange! |
This was the
first of a three day tour. All three days had big walks on them but on day 2 and day 3 we
would start them early morning before it got too hot. Today would be the only
day that we would be doing the walk in the middle of the day. We were told we
would only be able to do the short walk because it would be too hot but luckily
for us it was cloudy. We got dropped off on one side of the rock and walked
around to the other side.
 |
| A big skull? |
 |
| I touched Ayers Rock! |
 |
| A happy whale |
Uluru is
amazing! I’ve seen so many pictures from a distance but none from up close.
There’s quite a lot of features on the rock that look like various things. Its
really big, very steep and extremely orange!
 |
| Bit of water |
We met back
up with Ben and he took us on the Mala Walk and told us a lot about aboriginal
culture and the symbolism of things in the area. I must admit it did open my
eyes to a lot of things about aboriginals and the reasons they are how they
are.
When you see
so many aboriginals hanging out on the streets yelling to someone two blocks away
you develop a certain opinion of them because to us this is deemed to be drunk antisocial behaviour or they are drunk but its merely a difference in culture.
I first thought this when I was trying to sell my car in Timber Creek by
walking down the street between groups of aboriginals. They are actually
perfectly nice people to talk to. They hang out together on the street because
they have a social culture. They are the ultimate people watchers! That’s what they do, its not there fault that they
don’t live in caves or villages anymore. Ben explained the yelling that they do
is simply because you wouldn’t leave the coolness of your cave or shelter to
wander over to another group, you would just shout. I have noticed that the
tends to be a smell associated with aboriginals but when water is the difference
between life and death you wouldn’t be having showers everyday. Yes, Australia
has moved on and most aboriginals live in houses, have access to water, air con
and jobs but who are we to tell them to change. They’ve already been forced to
change so much.
 |
| Four leaf clovers!? |
 |
| Lizard |
I learnt
more about aboriginal culture on this trip than I have in the whole 2 years I’ve
been in Australia. Ben clearly had a passion for all things aboriginal which is a
good thing in his job. He got genuinely angry when one of the older Koreans in our
group climbed a rock at a sacred site for a photograph.
 |
| Great place |
 |
| The route to the top |
We had been
to the Cultural Centre before heading out on the walk where watched a film
about Uluru and how the Aboriginals slowly won back the site from the Australian
government and reverting back to its original name, not Ayers Rock. Whilst you
are still officially allowed to climb the rock it is made abundantly clear that
the locals are not happy about this. The government close the track in the summer
months because it is too hot which is why there was no one on it when we were
there but the rest of the year people are free to walk all over it. Ben seemed fairly confident it would be banned altogether within the
next few years.
 |
| Aboriginal art |
 |
| Spanish? |
We found a
particular funny sign whilst doing the Mala Walk. It just so happens that the
only female sacred sight at Uluru translates in Spanish as’ bad whore’.
Marta, our Spanish friend, found this hilarious!
 |
| Not a bad spot for a beer |
 |
| Dinner time |
We left the
rock in time to get to a viewpoint to watch the sunset. Whilst we took heaps of
pictures, Ben cooked us dinner with a little help from everybody. It was really
good food actually despite it being cooked on the back of a trailer. I’m always a bit apprehensive about tours that include food
as you never know what you’re going to get but this was really tasty.
 |
| Uluru sunset: tick |
 |
| Epic colours |
After dinner
we sat and watched the truly beautiful sunset with a couple of beers. That
night we played a few games at the campsite. Not drinking games, just party
games whilst we had a couple of beers. Part of one of the games was to name
something you hate (it carried on into a very funny game but that’s not the
point I’m making). Rather than go with ‘lettuce’ or ‘mushrooms’, when it was my
turn to speak, I said ‘manbuns with the shaved sides’. They really do annoy me.
If you want hair long enough for a pony tail or bun then fine but don’t shave
the sides off just because everyone else is doing it. I had a bit of a rant.
“You mean
like Hosana?” said someone.
I looked
up to realise that I had just described
the exact hair cut of the guy opposite me. I felt like such a twat! I tried to
dig myself out of it by saying he’s Asian and it suites Asians. It doesn’t
suite a Westerner. He said it was OK and everyone found it hilarious but I felt so bad. I really put my foot in
it with that one.
 |
| Uluru sunrise: tick |
That night
we slept in swags under the stairs which was actually far better than I had
expected. I was perfectly warm, perfectly comfortable and there didn't seem to be any bugs around. It would have been a decent nights sleep were it not
for the fact that we got up super early to get back to the view point for
sunrise. I’m not sure which I preferred more, the sunset or sunrise, both were
amazing.
 |
| Wow! |
 |
| Group photo! |
We had a
small drive over to the Olgas, otherwise known as Kata Tjuta which I still
can’t pronounce properly. We did a big walk up to a view point and it was
spectacular. Everyone comes to this area to see Uluru but it is well worth the effort
to come here too.
 |
| A walk through the rocks |
 |
| The oven ahead |
Ben told us
how both Uluru and Kata Tjuta were formed. They are the tops of long columns of
rock that go many kilometres into the ground. Kata Tjuta has been worn down by
rain and wind much more than Uluru so that it can no longer be considered a monolith but, as I said, it was no less impressive. Ben pointed out a few rock
formations. There was that looked like an elephant. He didn’t explain what this one looked like though…
 |
| Rude |
 |
| The elephant |
 |
| Still walking |
 |
| Nice view |
The last
part of the journey was a steep climb up to the viewpoint. It was still very
early in the morning as they close this section when it gets too hot. I can
completely understand why. The big red walls act like an oven and its baking.
That is until you reach the top and there's a nice breeze coming through.
 |
| Kata Tjuta |
We made it
back to the bus and had a few snacks before heading to a lookout where you can
see all of Kata Tjuta.
 |
| Fooluru |
Then it was
time to begin the long journey round to Kings Canyon. We had a couple of stop
offs along the way including Fooluru. That’s not its official name but its been
known that people who have driven all this way to see Uluru, have taken a
picture of this thing then driven back home thinking they’ve seen it.
 |
| Wild horses |
 |
| Bus crew |
We had
another stop off along to road to dig for some grubs you can eat. We had to
find a specific type of bush and then start digging at the roots until you found
a fat bit. Inside you might find a bug that you can eat. We searched for a
while but we did not find any bugs. I don’t think anyone really wanted to eat
any so it was no great loss. I certainly wasn't going to be eating any. We also stopped to gather some firewood for the camp that night.
 |
| Fire! |
I would just
like to point out that when we answered the questions when we introducing
ourselves, playing with fire was my answer to ‘useful camping skill’ so I was
very upset when this job got taken by Boris. To be fair he wasn’t on the bus
when we did the question thing so he didn’t know but I like building bonfires.
I managed to get involved in this one a little bit but the hard bit was already
done.
 |
| Scorpion! |
We all
pitched in to make another fantastic meal cooked on our fire. We sat around to
have a few more drinks and we got to know each other a little bit more. Just as
we were getting ready for another night in the swags someone noticed this
scorpion strolling through our camp. We poked it for a while before Ben flung
it back in the bush on the end of a spade.
 |
| Camping around the fire |
As I got
into my swag I realised that I was in the exact spot the scorpion had been
flung too. I figured it had probably run off by now so I stayed put. I couldn’t
be arsed moving anyway to be honest. I was knackered.
 |
| Heart Attack Hill |
There was at
least a little bit daylight when we up the next day. It was still very very
early. We had another big walk to do through Kings Canyon starting with the
aptly named ‘Heart Attack Hill’. This was quite a challenge first thing in the
morning although the picture makes it look a bit small. Trust me its not. By
the time we reached the top no one was feeling sleepy any more.
 |
| Epic view |
The view was
amazing in the early morning light. I was one of the first to the top because I
like to just power through these things. Whilst everyone was recovering
themselves I snuck out to the ledge to get a couple of pictures.
 |
| Spot of rock climbing |
We started
the walk alongside the edge of the canyon and what we found was an almost
completely alien landscape. The barren orange rock would not look out of place
on some sort of science fiction film. Possibly martian. It really did look like we had been transported to another world
 |
| More rocks |
 |
| A river crossing |
Suddenly we
came across a river and life. This was a beautiful little spot where they’ve
built a set of stairs and a bridge to cross. We stopped here for a short break
and Ben told us some stuff. We had several stops where Ben would explain
certain aspects of the land and the nature. He knew a lot of stuff and all of it interesting. He told us a story of how an aboriginal would be punished if they had done something really bad. They would use a particular plant and glue their eyes shut with the sap.
 |
| Big group pic |
We crossed
to the other side of Kings Canyon which isn’t this big river. It was actually a
little gap about a metre wide that you could just jump over. It just happens to open
up a lot wider further down. We came to the end of the river which is called
The Garden of Eden and water was spilling over the little waterfall. Ben said
it’s the first time he’d seen that.
 |
| Its seriously a different planet! |
 |
| Little puddle on a cliff |
We continued
round to the end of the track which was a slow descent back to the car park and
then it was time to make the long journey back to Alice Springs. I was very excited to see Uluru and was very impressed
by it. Kata Tjuta too, was also something I was looking forward to seeing.
However, I had given little thought to the Kings Canyon. This place I think I
would say is the best site out of the three. Its such an alien place and so
unlike anything I’d seen before. It was a great walk and I thoroughly enjoyed
it.
 |
| Kangaroos! |
 |
| Emu |
 |
| and a camel |
We had one
stop on the way back at a camel farm. They had emus and kangaroos too but the main
attraction was the camels where you could pay to ride one. I had never ridden I
camel so I had already decided to give it a go. Most of the group didn’t seem
keen though. I must admit I wasn’t too keen after I saw how they were treated.
They have a rope which is attached through a hole in their nose and they get
them stand up, sit down and walk all by yanking on this rope. Maybe it doesn’t
hurt them but I wasn't impressed. The camels I saw in Broome responded to commands
or a slap on the backside. This was crueler. Rachel and I, who I had partnered up
with, very nearly didn’t do it but we had already bought a ticket and we decided
to go ahead with it. Maybe I shouldn’t have done that.
 |
| Camel riding |
It wasn’t a
particularly amazing experience but I suppose I can tick it off the list. Its
quite violent the way a camels stands up and sits down so you really have to
hold on. We walked round the paddock and ran down the last bit. The running bit
as a ball cruncher!
 |
| The crew back in town |
That’s the
end of the tour. We got a group photo at the Alice Springs sign. We said
goodbye to a few people who we dropped off at the airport before we arrived
back in town. As I mentioned earlier, I was planning to do this area by myself
in my car but maybe the breakdown was a blessing in disguise. I had a really
good time on this tour. The people I met were great and it made the experience
so much better than if I had done it solo.
 |
| Shots! |
We met up
again that night at The Rock Bar for some after tour drinks. Ben joined us too
which I thought was a nice touch because I don’t think he had to. I stayed for
a little while having drinks and chatting to people before we all parted ways.
It felt like I’d known this group for a lot more than just three days!
I spent most
of the next just chilling out before my flight. I was flying to my final
destination in Australia and my favourite, Cairns.
No comments:
Post a Comment