9
th
– 15
th April 2016
 |
| Heading for the border |
Yet another
long bus journey to cross the border between Cambodia and Vietnam. It was
largely uneventful but the border check point was a little odd. Our driver collected our passports and handed them to the immigration
officer who was slowly working through the stacks of passports that he had from each of the many buses.
Then it was a case of stand around until your name is called. It was super hot
inside the building. No air con or fan so it was a bit of a sweat fest.
 |
| Welcome to Saigon |
I arrived at
my first stop in Vietnam, Ho Chi Minh City otherwise known as Saigon.
Apparently it depends where you are from (and your allegiance) whether you call
it Saigon or HCMC. The south was quite well off until the north took all the
money after reunification or so I heard from a local. Another said the city is called HCMC but the very central area is still called Saigon. I didn’t know much about the Vietnam War so I was
keen to visit the museum which I did the next day.
 |
| Nice park |
 |
| Made some friends |
On my way to
the museum I had a bit of a walk around to explore and I got ambushed. There
were a couple of students that were wanting to practise their English and asked
if they could ask me some questions. I wasn’t in a rush so I agreed but then the
group swelled as they asked more and more questions and before long I had quite
the audience!
 |
| The market |
 |
| Big empty space |
 |
| Old Opera House |
 |
| Notre Dam |
 |
| Smaller than the original I think |
After I
escaped I continued on my way. I walked past the market, an old colonial opera
house and Vietnams version of the Notre Dam Cathedral. The evidence of the
French colonisation was everywhere including my new favourite lunch, a Banh Mi.
It’s just a baguette sandwich but they are super cheap and there's a cart on every
corner.
 |
| Tank |
 |
| More tanks |
America
might have destroyed this part of the world but at least they left behind some
cool looking tanks and planes!
 |
| Plane - if you didn't know |
I had
swatted up a little bit on the war before I came with the help of YouTube so
that I knew what I would be looking at. Obviously, the museum is very anti-American
but it’s very hard to argue against it giving the tactics they used. I
didn’t realise that they didn’t even win the war. The whole thing was a disaster. I
already knew about the frankly illegal bombings of Laos and Cambodia but what
happened in Vietnam is worse because of the use of Napalm.
 |
| Horrible disfigurements |
I had heard
of Napalm but I didn’t really know what it was or what it does so it was quite
shocking to see such horrendous photos of the injuries the Vietnamese suffered.
There were pictures of horrible burns but also of the deformities in the
generations following the war due to the toxicity of the Agent Orange. The US dropped
72 million litres of toxic chemicals on Vietnam affecting up to 4.8 million
people during the war and since.
Maybe I’ve
only heard one side of the story but it seems that America showed blatant
disregard for human life in all of Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia. The weapons they
used caused widespread and long lasting damage that affected millions and millions
of people. More civilians have died during the war and after then the military
personal they were trying to kill in the first place. It’s hard not to hate
America for this and they are certainly not doing enough to help now.
It’s good to
know that even Americans believe the Vietnam War was a big expensive failure.
There were student protests about the use of Agent Orange that turned violent
and people were killed by the police. It's just a big fat mess.
 |
| The burning monk |
 |
| Recreation of the famous picture |
Moving on
from the museum I visited the memorial of Thích Quảng Đức who burnt himself to
death in the middle of a street intersection in protest of the persecution of Buddhists
by the South Vietnamese government. The South Vietnamese government were not
good people. America was backing a dictator by the name of Ngô Đình Diệm for
the sake of destroying Communism. Having spent a month in Communist Vietnam it
doesn’t seem all that bad.
 |
| A park |
I walked
back to the hostel through a small park whilst processing the things I had
learnt. You wouldn’t have thought that all this had happened looking around. It
seems like a quiet, peaceful and happy place. Everyone I’ve spoken to were
super friendly.
 |
| Crafting |
The next day
I learned a little bit more about the war. I organised a tour of the Cu Chi
Tunnels where the Northern Viet Cong fought the US army. On the way there we
stopped off at a workshop for the disabled. This is a gimmick to persuade you
to buy some things that they are making. They didn’t look too disabled but
that’s just my sceptical mind after being in Asia so long. None the less it was
impressive to watch them. Its all very skilful.
 |
| Model of the tunnels |
Once we
arrived we learnt about the comprehensive tunnel system the Viet Cong created
including an underwater escape route where they would use a piece of bamboo as
a snorkel to swim to safe area.
 |
| Not real people |
 |
| Air Vent |
 |
| Secret entrance |
We were
shown the secret entrances they used to use and they are quite a tight squeeze.
This guy nearly got stuck trying to get in and out. The showed us the air vents
that were disguised as termite mounds.
 |
| Bamboo Trap |
 |
| Other types of traps |
The Viet
Cong were quite creative with their traps with many different types of
contraptions to catch and injure the southern soldiers. These traps and tunnels
were very effective towards the end of the war when the US were concentrating
on body count rather than claiming land. The Americans would storm into the jungle to
seek out the Viet Cong who would come out from their hiding places and ambush and slaughter them. All of it completely unnecessary and pointless.
 |
| Check out the spider |
As I was
looking into one of the tunnels I took a photo of a creature quite
unexpectedly. It was not until I got home and looked at my photos that I
noticed the huge spider at the top.
 |
| Inside the tunnels |
 |
| Tight squeeze |
At the end
of history lesson we got the chance to go down one of the tunnels which was
awesome and terrifying at the same time. It was so cramped and hot down there
and these ones had been expanded for us larger westerners. If I wasn’t in a
group I would have bailed out of one of the side exits but I was determined to
get to the end. There were a few bits where you literally had to crawl through
on your stomach. How they lived like this was amazing.
 |
| Independence Palace |
Back in the
city I had a walk around Independence Palace which was used as the HQ for the
South during the war.
 |
| Cabinet Room |
 |
| Gifts from other countries |
 |
| The accommodation |
Before WWII
it was home to the French governor of Cochinchina so it’s had a few different
uses over the years. I walked around the cabinet rooms, the old governor’s accommodation and
the underground bunker.
 |
| The Helipad and bombsites |
Up on the
roof there’s an old army helicopter and two big round circles showing where a
couple of bombs landed during the war destroying most of the building.
 |
| The old war rooms |
 |
| A computer |
Down in the
basement there was a whole load of old telephone equipment and cave man
computers left from the war. There was also the getaway car just in case things
went bad and a shooting range.
 |
| The getaway car |
 |
| Shoot! |
I feel like of got a good grasp on what happened during the war now. I've been educated and it seems to me that America is the real evil in this story. With the use of Agent Orange in Vietnam and the cluster bombs dropped on Laos and Cambodia they have really managed to fuck up this part of the world. They didn't even win! Madness!
 |
| Another nice tree |
I only had
to wait a few hours after I got back before I was heading out again. I wasn’t
spending the night in Ho Chi Minh City, I was catching the overnight bus to my
next destination Da Lat.
 |
| Teaching English |
Whilst I was
waiting at the travel agents office to get picked up, one of the staff wanted to
practise his English. He had a whole list of words he wanted me to say for him and
check that he was saying them correctly. I should start charging for this
stuff. Twice in two days. He was a very nice guy and appreciated my help (not
that he gave me a discount on the bus.
 |
| First overnight bus |
It was one
of those legendary night buses I had heard so much about in Vietnam. It’s a
sort of bunk bed arrangement with three rows of reclining chairs with an upper
and lower bunk. Your feet tuck nicely underneath the back of the person in
front of you or so they should if you’re in a normal seat. Unfortunately I was
in a chair/bed that was above the toilet. It was locked so I didn’t have any
smelly people going in but it meant that my seat was slightly higher than the
person in front of me giving me little head room and nowhere to put my feet.
I got a tiny
bit of sleep and woke with serious backache that would last a few days. I’ve
said it before and I’ll say it again, I hate bus journeys!
 |
| Astonishing sunrise |
 |
| Best yet |
As I arrived
dawn was breaking on the most gorgeous scene I have ever witnessed. The sun was
shimmering through the early morning mist onto a very picturesque town. I had
to put my bag down for a little while and take some photos because it was just
stunning.
 |
| Dalat |
 |
| The river |
I only had a
ten minute walk to get to my accommodation and I was lucky enough to be able to
check in early. I got a couple hours extra sleep before I did a small
exploration of Dalat. It came to be one of my favourite places in Vietnam
despite the odd rain shower. It was the first rain I’d seen since Thailand in January, three months ago!
 |
| Raining |
 |
| The Crazy House |
 |
| Very crazy indeed |
 |
| The Eagle Room |
I braved the
elements to go around to the Crazy House which wasn’t far from the hostel. It’s
essentially a hotel with each room having a different theme. I think there’s
four buildings. It’s hard to be sure as they are all interconnected with corridors,
bridges and stairways. It’s utterly mental.
 |
| Another part of the house |
 |
| Which stairs? |
 |
| Lost |
It was fun
trying to get from Point A to something you wanted to see at Point B. You’d
have to walk up down and around before you got there. It would be a good place
to play a massive game of tig or something.
 |
| Wet in Dalat |
 |
| Top of the house |
It was
created by an artist with too much money and too much time on her hands. It’s
now world famous and very popular with tourists. There seemed to be a lot of
Russian tourists which is a group I haven’t noticed before. This was a theme
throughout Vietnam.
 |
| No longer peaceful |
I walked
back into town past the river which had been so peaceful in the morning but it
was now raging after the rain.
 |
| Central Dalat |
I didn’t
look around the town too much. It was more just to find something to eat which
I did. On my way back I stopped by a scooter hire place to enquire for the next
day and she said I could take it straight away. I had negotiate the rush hour
traffic on an unfamiliar bike in the chaos that is Vietnamese driving but I made it back alive.
 |
| On the road again |
The next was
a full day out on the bike and it was brilliant. Once again riding a scooter
through windy mountain roads was awesome. I can never get bored of it. I
stopped a few times on the road to take pictures of the stunning mountainous
countryside in this part of Vietnam.
 |
| Farming on the hills |
 |
| Behind Elephant Falls |
The first
stop was Elephant Falls. There was an incredible amount of water tumbling over
these waterfalls. Possibly because of the storm the day before. The first part
I went to was this sneaky side entrance which you can squeeze through and it takes you
behind the falls. It was rather wet and windy down here but I got one quick
photo before I put my camera away. I got quite wet.
 |
| Bit wet |
 |
| Pongour Falls |
The next
stop was Pongour Falls. I dried off a bit in the sun on the way. I tried to take
a shortcut to the falls rather than take the main road all the way round. It
was on the map but it really was just a rocky dirt path through farmland. If
anything this was more fun but it probably took longer than if I had just gone
the usual way. I took a wrong turning a couple of times too and had to
double back.
 |
| Pretty awesome falls |
 |
| and again |
Pongour
Falls is very impressive sight even in dry season. Sure, the previous day’s
rain had made it better but in the full wet season this would be something to
behold. It was a very long cliff edge that had too many little waterfalls to
count. I imagine in the wet season this would be one huge waterfall. I stayed
to eat my lunch (a Banh Mi from town) before carrying on.
For the
third and final waterfall of the day I had to drive almost all the way back to
Dalat. Rather than go the same way back I took the less scenic route of the
main highway which passed through another couple of small towns. This was when the
heavens opened again. I had anticipated this and brought a coat but it became
utterly useless as it poured down. My face was stinging after a while too
without a visor.
The shower
didn’t last too long and sun came back out and I was completely dry again
within minutes, surprisingly.
 |
| Toboggan ride |
 |
| So much fun |
Datanla
Falls was at the bottom of a valley and what better way to get down there than
a toboggan ride. I might cost a little extra but not much and it was a huge
amount of fun. I was in control of the brake so you can basically go as fast as
you want. There are signs every couple of metres saying ‘brake now’. Half of
the thrill was not knowing how fast was still safe. It wouldn’t surprise me if
these go flying off if you go too far.
Three
backpackers actual died here this year whilst on an organised canyoning tour
which you would trust to be safe. It turned out the tour operator was
unauthorised to carry out these tours but it shows you can’t really trust
anything.
 |
| Datanla Falls |
 |
| The second set of falls |
 |
| the third set of falls |
There were a
few different falls along this river to go look at. All the rain that had just
come down was already making its way into the rivers so, again, it was a
spectacular set of falls.
 |
| Monk ringing a bell |
 |
| Temple |
I returned
to the top via the toboggan chair lift and continued on my way. I visited the
temple which was pretty close by. It was another beautiful location set in the
hills an overlooking a huge lake. This really topped off the day for me. I now
fully love Dalat!
 |
| Inside the temple |
 |
| Monks working hard |
 |
| The Lake |
I was
intending to head back to town but I got distracted and drove around quite vaguely
for a while. It was so beautiful here and I was having so much fun on the bike
that I didn’t want the day to end. I still had fuel left that I had paid for
too.
 |
| Old colonial villas |
 |
| The lake again |
 |
| Abandoned village |
I drove
around the lake and off a side road into the forest where I came across a half
built village. It was like a ghost town. These villas have been completely
abandoned. It was quite spooky.
 |
| Drinking at the hostel |
I finally
drove back to town and dropped off my bike. Rather than relaxing after a long
and exhausting day I ended up chatting and drinking with a couple of people I
had met in the hostel. Before long our group had swelled to everyone that was
staying at the hostel! It was a small hostel but everyone staying there were
super friendly and chatty. I actually bumped into a few people from this group
along the route to the north.
 |
| Old train station |
 |
| Very old train |
The next day
I took a super old train to a temple just outside the city. The train line here
previously had its uses but is now just a tourist attraction as is the temple I
was about to visit.
 |
| Very old carriage |
 |
| Not maintained much |
 |
| Some farms |
It was still
cool to ride through the suburbs of Dalat and the farmlands surrounding.
 |
| A different kind of temple |
 |
| Seven story pagoda |
 |
| Trendy socks |
The temple
was almost as mad as the Crazy House I had visited. It was extremely colourful
with all kinds of mosaics and sculptures. There was a seven story pagoda which I
was keen to climb but just as I tried a very old lady came over telling me to
put these sock things over my shoes. Not sure they are very fashionable.
 |
| Big golden Buddha |
 |
| Inside the main temple |
 |
| Dragon |
 |
| Not a Madame Tussauds but very good |
I wandered
around the temple for a bit marvelling at the detail of the place and trying to
get the best picture. Then I made my way down to the basement which is basically
a big shop for some fantastic sculptures. Some of them were huge.
 |
| RAAA |
 |
| Huge Peacock |
 |
| Random Buddha room |
 |
| Secret entrance |
There was a
second level to this basement that was guarded by two…things but that was for
locals only. I thought this was a bit harsh and I was dying to know what was
down there. I was so very tempted to play the dumb tourist card but the sign
was pretty obvious and I thought better of it. I’ll guess I’ll never know.
 |
| 100 Rooms Bar |
 |
| Just one of the rooms |
 |
| At the very back |
I had been
told about the 100 Rooms bar in town which is an absolute copy of the Crazy
House but in bar form. I don’t think there are 100 rooms but there are an awful
lot. There’s maybe four floors in one building and then it continues out the
back with possibly three or four different levels to the garden. It’s hard to
know for sure as nothing is level. As in the Crazy House this place is a
maze of passages and stairways that makes it difficult to find the way out.
 |
| Another bar |
With my time
in Dalat coming to an end I spent the final evening hanging out with what was
now one huge group of people from the hostel. We went to a bar which is the
only place open after midnight. They have a very strict shutdown policy on
almost all bars at midnight which is very early for us westerners. This place
stayed open but it was a little dull. The guy behind the bar didn’t seem to
want to play any music.
 |
| Stormy in the mountains |
A few guys
in the group had bought motorbikes in Ho Chi Minh City and were riding north.
All I could think about whilst crammed in a mini bus on my way to the coast was
how amazing it would be to drive these roads. I had been extremely tempted to
do the same but I just have too much stuff with me and I was by myself. I think
it was the right decision but I was still incredibly jealous. I arrived at the coastal city of Nha Trang after another uncomfortable journey cramped on a bus.
No comments:
Post a Comment