22
nd
March – 9
th April 2016
 |
| Independence Monument |
I’d been on
the go constantly for almost three months so I thought it was time for a short
break. I was in need of a holiday! I booked myself some beach time on the
Cambodian coast for a little while to chill before launching back into
the chaos in Vietnam.
 |
| The Royal Palace |
 |
| More Phnom Penh |
I still had
a day left in the capital of Phnom Penh and I chose to spend the day exploring
the city. I walked down the river and around the outside of the Royal Palace.
I wasn’t bothered about going in as it looked very similar to things I had seen
before.
 |
| Very grand |
My and Daimi
parted ways again as she was in a hurry to do the islands before starting
volunteer work. I wanted to do a more relaxed pace for a change. That night was
largely uneventful. I sat in the hostel bar for a while. The owner was
Australian and was a nice man. There are a lot of expats in Cambodia running
businesses.
 |
| Looks rude from this angle |
 |
| Convertible? |
The next day
I caught the bus down to Sihanoukville which took forever. When I looked on the
GPS map after 2 hours I saw that we had only travelled 12km thanks to the traffic!
I was very happy to finally get off the bus. Then I jumped into this weird car
that had a roof extension. All the taxis here are like this. It’s a little odd but
I think they look quite cool.
 |
| Awesome accommodation |
I stayed at
a hostel in Otres Village which is a tiny little village away from the hugely
touristy town of Sihanoukville. Part of me wanting to relax was to get away from
that sort of party place. This place still had travellers though. The hostel I stayed
at, The Hacienda, was full of people. It’s a really chilled place where
everyone just hangs out in the bar.
 |
| Bamboo bar |
The welcome
drink is a shot of Jager! A little unusual but welcome all the same. The place
had quite a hippy vibe. Dreadlocks everywhere. I spent the evening in the bar
chatting to people and drinking. I had a chicken parmi which was an absolute
treat!
 |
| Otres Beach |
The next day
I went down the beach and what a beach it is. So chilled, barely anyone around.
They had started to build restaurants and bars along the beach but they have
been banned so most of the strip is just empty sand for people to enjoy. The
existing businesses may or may not be demolished, they are still debating that.
 |
| Awesome location |
I went down
to one of the restaurants and had lunch. It was just so I could use the
sun loungers that they had for a few hours. It was such a beautiful place to
sit.
 |
| Beautiful |
The plan was
to stay in Otres Village for a few days before going out to the islands. This
turned into a full week as the place was just too awesome to leave. I wanted to
chill and chill I did. I was so relaxed and the idea of packing all my stuff
and moving again seemed like too much effort. I really enjoyed this place.
 |
| Amazing place for such an horrendous moment |
There was
one particularly horrendous moment though that will stay with me. If you
continue to walk down the beach, past all the restaurants then you could to a
small creek which you can wade across. Not many people go down there so its
effectively a private beach. I fancied a walk down that way just so I could
have a whole beach all to myself.
As I was
walking along I saw 4 police officers talking to a western girl which I thought
seemed odd. They didn’t seem to be arresting her or telling her off for
anything so I walked over and asked what was happening. She pointed to a dead
body floating in the shallows about 20 metres further up the beach. That was a
shock! I would have walked right up to it without noticing but I was already
close enough to tell that he had been dead for a while. It was such an awful
thing to witness and it certainly killed my mood.
 |
| Still a nice beach |
It was hard
to take my mind off it whilst I was exploring the coastline. That was until I
went around a rock and stumbled on a couple having sex. I wasn’t expecting
that either!
 |
| Crabs |
 |
| Otres Market |
Every
Saturday the Otres Market opens for business. It was just opposite the hostel
so I went over. Its not really a market. More of a live music venue. I had a
few beers with some friends I had made and watched the live bands which were
pretty good for the middle of nowhere. The power kept cutting out
but apart from that it was pretty good. I saw an old lady smoking a joint and dancing around with
everyone else which demonstrates the hippy vibe I mentioned earlier.
 |
| More beautiful beaches |
 |
| Bit of coastal erosion |
I spent some
more time at the beach. I accidentally forgot to pay for my lunch in one of the
bars. There’s been a few times when I’ve got up to leave and then I suddenly
remember to pay but this time I didn’t realise until I was back at the hostel!
 |
| Awesome place to watch a sunset |
After a week
here I thought it was time to pay my bill and head on to the islands. I had enjoyed just hanging out and not doing
too much. I also took the chance to plan the rest of my trip after Vietnam. I
needed to book flights before they got too expensive. Apparently I'm going to the Philippines.
 |
| Awesome |
 |
| A huge ball of gas |
I had one
last day at the beach so that I could watch the sunset. It was beautiful. I can
see why people have moved here. I think that might be a planet crossing the
sun or a sunspot. I meant to look it up but I forgot.
 |
| Chaos on the pier |
The journey
from Otres Village to Koh Rong Samloem was predictably chaotic (that’s why I
had been putting it off). I got one of those weird cars to the pier and it was
manic. There were about a hundred people cramped into this café and some
confusion about what was going on. It turned that the speed ferry was broken
and all the people catching the 9am ferry were still sat waiting. It as
11.30am. After an hour two slowboats arrived. One for Koh Rong and one for Koh
Rong Samloem
It was the
roughest ferry ride I have ever been on. Not that I’ve been on all that many
but this was very rocky. The waves were pretty big for this little boat and it
swung from side to side so hard that you had to hold on even sat down. I was on
the upper deck which only increased the swinging. I actually found it quite
fun. It was a different story for those downstairs who were throwing up!
 |
| I thought I'd seen a beautiful beach, I was wrong |
After a
couple of hours I arrived in paradise, otherwise know as Saracen bay on Koh
Rong Samloem. It was stunning beyond belief. Crystal clear water with such a
strong blue against the white sand. You could easily pay a fortune for
somewhere like this but here I was paying a fraction of the price. We had a
little wait before the boat transfer came to take us into the next bay where the accommodation was.
 |
| Hut on the beach |
 |
| Not a bad spot for a beer |
The hostel
was pretty cool. I stayed in a wooden hut with three other people. The bar area
was huge and it was a great place to hang out and meet people. The hostel had
the bay to themselves at the moment and they’ve built some hammocks and swings
out on the water.
 |
| More amazing beach photos |
 |
| A place to chill |
 |
| and drink |
That night I
got chatting to a few people in the bar and before long we were a big group
playing ring of fire. Can someone please invent a new big group drinking game
because I am so sick of ring of bloody fire!
I played a
couple of games of twister. The coloured dots were painted on the floor. Then
everyone started dancing. It was one of the Cambodian staff’s birthday so they
played some Cambodian music and danced Cambodian style. It was a weird kind of
Tai Chi dancing. Slow but swift motions and everyone did the same like some crazy Asian Macarena . I joined in
and copied them as we slowly circulated around a pole.
 |
| Trekking into the jungle |
 |
| Jungle |
The next day
I went trekking through the jungle. They have a free boat that transfers to the main
beach three times a day or, if you want to, you can trek though the jungle. I
thought this would be much more fun so off I went. The sign saying ‘good luck’
didn’t fill me with confidence!
 |
| FIRE! |
On one of
the days trekking to the main beach I came across a small bush fire that was getting
very close to the path. It wasn’t a very intense one but I warned a couple of
people that were coming the other way all the same.
 |
| Most amazing pool ever! |
|
A guy had
told me about this pool next to the beach where you can just sneak in and swim
for free. I even managed to grab a sun lounger. So I spent my day just hanging
out there. My plan had changed again. I was going to go to Koh Rong island
but every time I heard someone talking to someone who had been there, they
would ask “How was it?” followed by “Did you get food poisoning?”
I found out
that they don’t treat there waste properly and just dump it in the water. They
then use that same water for washing things and cooking with and so everyone
gets ill. Everyone that I spoke to either got ill or knew someone who had.
Having had food poisoning twice there was no way I was going to risk it. Plus
Koh Rong Samloem was amazing and I don’t think it could be beaten so I stayed
here for five days.
 |
| Delivery |
I got the
free transfer back to the hostel but I had to wait whilst they got the
delivery. About 20 boats pulled up to this big boat and people started throwing
things onto them. It was a little insight into island life.
 |
| Band photo with my new friends |
Once again I
mostly just chilled in the sea or in that pool I had heard about. I got
chatting to three Germans who were very friendly, Anji, Stephanie and Dennis.
They taught me the card game Kabull which is my new favourite. Its been a long
time since I played a card game as exciting as Kabull.
 |
| Profile picture right there! |
They left
the day before me so I was left to my own devices on my last day on the island.
I went for a walk around the bay. Well it was more of a wade across the half
metre deep water in the bay. I was trying to get through to the other side of
the island to see the other beach but I couldn’t find the path. On my way back
I cut my foot on a rock and it started bleeding everywhere . I washed it out with something the barman
gave me but because it was on the bottom of my foot I didn’t want to walk on it
incase I got some dirt in it. So I spent the rest of my last day in the bar on
my laptop sorting pictures (there was no internet at the hostel).
As I sat
there I watched this Aussie guy get more and more drunk. He was trying to beat
the record of the most number of Klang beers drunk in one day. Its 38 surprisingly. He was on about 12 and couldn’t stand up. I can’t be arsed with
morons like that. You meet these people every now then. People just here to get
fucked up. Its not why I travel.
 |
| I don't want to leave paradise |
I left
paradise behind and took the boat back to Sihanoukville where I spent the
night. It was, as I expected, very touristy but it was ok for just one night. I
mostly just enjoyed the first air-conditioned room for two weeks.
 |
| Kampot |
The next day
I took the bus to Kampot which is a couple of hours down the coast. It’s a cosy
town on the banks of a river and is a great place to access Bokor Hill which is
where I wanted to go.
 |
| Massive Durian |
After I
checked in to the hostel I went out to explore the town a little bit. This area
is famous for the stinky Durians which is the smelliest food in the world. So much so tha most hostels ban them. They
built a statue of Durian in the middle of a roundabout and it’s the landmark of
the town.
 |
| Just a few lilies |
 |
| Cool photo |
I came
across a small lake that was covered in lilies so I spent some time playing
with my camera to try and get a good shot of them.
 |
| Into the hills |
 |
| Fun on the bike |
 |
| Into the clouds |
The next day
I hired myself a scooter to drive up Bokor Hill which was an awesome drive.
About 10km from town I entered the national park and the road then winded and
twisted its way up the side of the mountain and into the clouds.
 |
| Cloudy at the top |
 |
| Eerie buddha |
As I got to
the top of the hill it was periodically foggy as the clouds rolled over the
hill. It made the Buddha statue at the top look quite dramatic.
 |
| Random big casino resort |
 |
| Only a couple of weeks away |
One of the
big attractions here is the huge casino resort. I only popped in to use the
facilities and have a look around. They were gearing up the Khmer New Year
which happened a few weeks later. It seemed pretty empty which was surprising
given the number of rooms they have. Maybe it gets really busy at the weekend.
 |
| Temple |
 |
| Epic view |
I drove
over to a temple that’s been built on the edge of a cliff. The cloud had lifted
a little so I could see the view all the way down to the sea. It was much
cooler up here too.
 |
| Temple temple |
 |
| Temple Temple Temple |
 |
| Temple so much temple |
The temple
looked quite impressive hanging off the side of the cliff. There were a lot of
tourists here and I think every single one of them had a selfie stick!
 |
| The old casino |
The main
reason I wanted to go to the hill (apart from the fun of riding a bike) was to
see this old abandoned casino resort built by the French to escape the heat back in the day.
 |
| An ageing entrance |
 |
| The main room |
It’s a bit
of a maze trying to get around it. It may appear symmetrical from the outside
but the inside certainly isn’t and the large section out the back isn’t level
with the front bit. They’re were several staircases and it took me a while to
find my way out. I’m sure its bigger on the inside too!
 |
| Great view |
Just
opposite is a car park which was filling up with buses so I took my chance to
leave before it got annoying. I had my lunch (pringles) in the carpark where I
got chatting to two women. One of them was semi retired and leaving in Phnom
Penh and her friend from home was visiting. They were both from England. They
were nice people. I had bumped into them a few times around the hill and I
would see them again a couple more times before I left.
 |
| Old church |
 |
| Great view |
The next
stop was an old looking catholic church just a kilometre down the road. It was
nothing special but the view from the hill behind was pretty good. I saw a
couple of other abandoned buildings around that were used in the war and then I
went back down the hill. It had been a fun day.
Back I town
I took a ride along the river to where the road stopped. There wasn’t really
anything to see but a couple of villages and I just enjoy riding the bike.
 |
| Final night in Kampot |
I have no
idea what I did the next day. Not much seemingly as I don’t remember and the only picture I took was of the sunset from the restaurant where I ate my dinner at.
I took the
bus back to Phnom Penh cramped in the back of a minivan. A man kept telling me
to sit on the back row and that four people could fit there. When I looked
there were three people were already squashed and unless I sat on one of them there was no chance I would be able to sit there. I
even said to him “you try sitting there, there’s no room!”. The van continued
to fill up and one woman had to share a seat with a very disgruntled local. It
was not a pleasant journey.
 |
| Random fireworks show |
I had a
couple of nights back in Phnom Penh purely to sort out my visa for Vietnam and
to use it as a way point to Ho Chi Minh City. On the last evening in Cambodia
there was an unexpected firework show down by the river. There was no one
watching it initially so I don’t think anyone knew why there was fireworks. I
asked a couple of people and they didn’t know. One guy said it was because of
the king but what I asked him what he’d done he just shrugged. I guess I’ll
never know.
My time in
Cambodia had been very enlightening in terms of their history and also very
relaxing. It’s not my favourite country but I am a big fan. That’s despite the
horrendous transport options!
Next to see,
Vietnam!
No comments:
Post a Comment