![]() |
| Epic rain |
![]() |
| The Koh Tao Crew |
Half of the
Ultimate Thailand group left to go to Koh Samui but Daimi, Scott, Lee, Mirko,
Jack and I stayed behind for another night in Koh Phangan. As Lee had gone to
hospital the night before with an allergic reaction to some nuts, he wasn’t
supposed to leave the island for 24 hours in case something happened. There was
no hospital on Koh Tao. The rest of us decided to stay an extra night too so
that we could wait for him and go to Koh Tao together. Hannah left for the
Vietnam border to do a visa run and would meet us there.
| Miserable day |
So we had an
unexpected extra day in Koh Phangan and there wasn’t much to do. The weather
hadn’t improved that much from the morning. I went down to the beach but the
tide was in and, with the wind pushing the water in too, there wasn’t any beach at all.
Not that there was even any sun to enjoy. I ended up just lazing about the
hostel.
![]() |
| Power cut |
| Waiting for the ferry |
The next
morning the weather had cleared so we had a smooth crossing over to Koh
Tao. We were a little lost at the pier without our tour guide to help us
anymore. We weren’t convinced we were in the right place but all was well. We
just had to wait.
| You like ice cream? |
Wait and eat
ice cream. This lady wanted to be in a picture with Beth who was buying an ice
cream from her.
| Koh Tao |
An hour
later we were in Koh Tao which looked just as stunning as the tiny bit of Koh
Phangan that I had seen. We were a little late but it was no big deal. We
still had a few hours before the pub crawl we were planning to do started. Hannah used to work for them before she started doing Ultimate Thailand and had persuaded us to join one.
| You call this a taxi? |
We organised
transport to our hostel which was basically a pick up truck with a couple of
benches to sit on. This isn’t that unusual but there would normally be a big
frame on the back too. Not just the seats.
![]() |
| Village streets |
![]() |
| The beach |
There was a
bit of a mix up with our booking so I ended up in a more expensive dorm by
myself for the first night. Once that was sorted I went for a little wander
down to the beach. By the time we came back Hannah had arrived after doing her
visa run and we went for an Indian. Eating as much as we did just before
going on a pub crawl was a mistake. Especially as we arrived a little late.
![]() |
| Party time |
I was still
at the bar waiting for my free bucket when we were told we were moving on to
the next bar. This meant I only had the 5 minute walk between bars to finish my
bucket of extremely strong vodka and coke. It was hard to drink as I was
so full but this was made even harder as every mouthful was like a shot, it was that strong.
![]() |
| Fireshow |
![]() |
| Drinkies |
We were at
the second bar for much longer so I was able to drink a bit slower whilst
watching the fire show. These guys were pretty good but I think they were
better on Koh Phi Phi.
![]() |
| Ladyboy show |
The pub
crawl had sold out so there were 200 people to herd between bars. This number
was a good amount when it came to the ladyboy show. I thought it would be good
and a bit of a laugh but it was so much better than that. With everyone screaming at everything
they did made for an incredible atmosphere and I’m not ashamed to admit I
really enjoyed it. All of us did!
![]() |
| Live music going off |
For some
reason we went all the back to the first bar where we started and some live music had started. I’ve never seen it go off as much as it did for one guy and a
guitar! He did a rap over the Game of Thrones theme tune which is possibly the
best thing ever.
![]() |
| Party bar |
![]() |
| Need a lighter? |
We walked
back down the beach to the last bar of the night which was absolutely rammed
with people. It had been a good night but I had eaten too much at the start so
I wasn’t getting drunk and it was hard to drink because I still felt so bloated.
I watched a bit of the fire show and chatted to some people for a while before
heading back to the hostel. It had still been a goof night.
| Going for a walk |
The next
morning Lee, Daimi and I went for a walk along the path next to the beach. They
wanted to buy things and I just wanted to have a look. There was some statue
thing marked on a map but we couldn’t find it so we went back to meet the
others before going to the beach.
We spent a
good few hours in and out the water all afternoon doing stupid stuff like
stamping our feet on the sand in the sea to make big holes. Hannah noticed
something funny while Scott was on Jacks shoulders wrestling with Brandon and
Mirko. He kind of sticks his chest out like a chicken. Once she pointed it out we couldn’t
stop laughing at it and before long Beth was in tears laughing so hard.
The next day
was a long day of travelling. We said goodbye to Beth and Brandon and started
our journey back to Bangkok. Taxi, boat then a bus. I watched in awe of them
unloading the luggage from the boat at Krabi pier. It was a throw and catch technique that
had me on edge when they picked my bag up. Its quite heavy and it would not have been happy if they had dropped it.
![]() |
| Take me back! |
We checked
into our hostel on the same street we were on before then went to the bar
downstairs. It was nearly 2am so people were already heading home from the bars
but they were still open. There was a bit of drama. We guessed that one Thai
lady didn’t want to pay her bill as she was arguing with one of the waitresses.
There was a waitress at our table taking a drink order but she got distracted by the arguement.
Then, without warning, she grabbed a big empty bottle of Chang from our table
and launched it at this woman! She missed. She started yelling at the woman and
the woman yelled back. We grabbed all the bottles on the table just in case. We
couldn’t believe what just happened!
The next day
we mostly chilled around the hostel after a busy few days. I didn’t take any
pictures of these few days for some reason. I guess its because it was just the
same as before. This would be the last day of our splinter Ultimate Thailand
group so we tried to make the most of it. We did the same thing we had done a
fortnight before but there was a new group. We gatecrashed their party at the
rooftop bar and became part of their group for the night.
It was quite
funny to watch them all sit there nervously making small talk with each other.
Its hard to think that our group only knew each other for such a short space of time but
that first night apprehension seemed so long ago. I was almost jealous of this new
group as they had all the fun to look forward to. But we had had our fun and made some great
memories. We even managed to extend the fun for a few more days after the tour
was done but now this really was the end.
Scott and
Jack left halfway through the night to catch their flight. The rest of us
parted ways the next morning. Lee and Mirko were going home, Daimi was heading
for Chiang Mai and I was staying in Bangkok for a few more days. I still had a
few things I wanted to do.















No comments:
Post a Comment