![]() |
| Goodbye Thailand |
After a
month in Thailand my visa was nearly up so it was time to move on. I’d seen
everything I wanted to see and now it was time for a new adventure in Laos. I
could have just taken a bus to Luang Prabang but its not the done thing. Most
travellers opt for the two day longboat sail down the mighty Mekong River.
![]() |
| My E.T impression |
The first
part of the journey was on a draughty local bus from Chiang Rai to the border town of
Chiang Khong where I had a bit of a mix up. I thought the current way to cross
the border was a small ferry crossing in town but this was old information.
Plus it seemed strange that I had to pay more to get off at the new bridge
border when it stopped before the town. I mentioned that I didn’t think it was
the border to a couple of people on the bus so they stayed on it with me. I felt
bad when I realised I was wrong.
Me and my new friends I'd landed in troubles got a tuk tuk back to the border which was, again, a bit of a faff. The man
told us it would be 60 baht but when the driver got to the border he told us it
was 60 baht each. I had double checked with the man organising the tuk tuk how
much it was and refused to pay any more. 240 baht for a 5 minute ride was
ridiculous. You wouldn’t even pay that in western countries! I ended up giving
him an extra 40 and walked away.
![]() |
| Border control scrum |
The border
also had its own annoyance. I stood in line of a huge queue for about half an
hour before I realised I need to fill out a form before I got to the desk. I
managed to grab one from a guy handing them out to his bus load. I gave the man
at the counter the form and my passport.
The next
part of the process is ridiculous. I had to stand in what can only be described
as a scrum of people all trying, to get a view of the tiny
window where a woman was holding up passports one by one. There was no queueing
system at all and if you missed your name being called then your passport went
back to the bottom of the pile. Not that she was handing them out in any kind
of order, just whichever passport she decided to pick up.
I got mine
but the people I had made friends with had to wait much longer for no apparent
reason. Whilst I waited for them I spotted a familiar face. Daimi from the
Ultimate Thailand tour would be joining me on my trip through Laos. She had
booked a package deal from Pai so once her passport had been stamped she went
off with the rest of her group. I would see her on the boat later.
I spoke to another
tour operator whilst I was waiting. He said I could join there group for a
discounted price. After the faff I had been having all morning this sounded
like a good idea. The girls I had met also joined me. We got taken to a little
shop where we had chance to grab some lunch and other snacks. Then a guy told
us everything that would happen with the boat before taking us down to the
harbour.
I got onto
the boat and found myself a car seat. Yes, that’s right. The seats on the boat
were all old car seats bolted on to wooden skis that moved around once the boat
set off. I saved a seat for Daimi who arrived a little later and, once the boat was full, we set
off down the Mekong.
I would see
the Mekong River a few times over the next couple of months as its one of the
longest rivers in the world and goes through many countries. It starts in
China, dips into Myanmar before running along the Thai/Laos border. The river
then continues through Laos into Cambodia and out the Mekong Delta in south
Vietnam. This marked the old border when the French colonised the area. They
had everything east of the river.
The flow
rate of the river is quite remarkable. You certainly wouldn’t be able to swim
against it. It looked like a quite slow and peaceful when we had crossed over
the Friendship Bridge but it wasn’t long before we were met by small rapids.
The captain did an amazing job steering the boat through a worrying amount of
large boulders and rocky outcrops along the river. Not to mention the other
boats coming the other way. It reminded me of doing the Jet Boat in New Zealand.
We sailed
for over an hour with Laos on the left and Thailand on the right until we got
into some mountains. At that point the border slipped away to the south and we
were heading further into Laos. The scenery became spectacular as the mountains
rose higher on either side. It was a little odd to have the river flowing into
a set of mountains but that’s just where the river goes.
I must
admit, I thought that two days on a boat would get pretty boring after a while
but it didn’t. I really enjoyed watching the Laotian countryside drift past me.
The mountains looked amazing, there were cows munching on the grassy banks and
locals fishing in the river. Around every bend there was something else to see.
I ended up with a lot of pictures!
| Bit of rapids |
| More mountains |
Every now then we would stop at a little village where a local person would get on or off. Not all of them seemed to be designated stops just flagged down by a man on a bank.
A few hours
later the sun was setting and we docked at the small town of Pakbeng where we
would spend the night. We walked the plank to get off the boat which was a bit
scary carrying big bags. Then we had walk up a lot of steps where we were
greeted by many locals trying to sell us a room. I had heard it was best to
walk up the hill away from the river to get the best deals so that’s what we
did.
| Awesome |
| Fisherman |
We must have
got to he last guesthouse before we finally found somewhere. Everywhere seemed
to be full which was concerning but we got there in the end. It was a dingy
twin room that had spiders on the ceiling but it was a bed. We walked back into
the village for some food and then had an early night.
The next
morning we were greeted with fog which I thought would ruin my picture taking.
We grabbed some food and a lot of snacks. Today we would be on the boat for 9
hours.
The got back
onto the boat and sailed out of Pakbeng. The fog lifted so my excessive photo
taking could resume.
Our captain
once again navigated his way down the river superbly. We later heard a story
that the boat the day after us came into a bit of strife. It went over a rock
and punctured a hole in the bottom of the boat. The passengers had to help
bucket the water out of the boat whilst they tried to repair it. I’m very glad
I wasn’t on that boat.
As we were
nearing Luang Prabang we went past the Pak Ou caves that’s filled with Buddha
statues. You can take a boat back here on a tour but I felt like I’d seen it
now.
It was a
long day but again the view was awesome so I didn’t get bored. We finally
arrived in Luang Prabang late afternoon. Well I say arrived. We had to get off
the boat 10km from the town so that they could charge us extra for a tuk tuk
into town. This is the accepted scam now and there’s no avoiding it.
We got to
town and started searching for a place to sleep. I had booked the only thing
available online which had some seriously bad reviews so I tried to find
somewhere else. I followed Daimi to her hostel, which took a little while to
find. They had overbooked and Daimi had to stay at some other random place and there was no room for me.
Just I was resigned myself to bad nights sleep I found a place that was cheaper
than the one I booked and seemed much better.






No comments:
Post a Comment