7
th
– 10
th January 2016
I was very
excited for Singapore. It’s the location of a Formula 1 Grand Prix so I had
seen it many times on TV and it looked like a cool place. It was. I had three
truly epic days in Singapore and I am now a massive fan of the city. I took nearly 800 pictures so its been hard to condense it so this is quite a long one.
 |
| Welcome to Singapore |
I arrived at
the airport just after midday local time and I caught the metro into the city
and to my hostel. I pretty much just dumped my bags and headed for one of the
most iconic buildings in the whole world.
 |
| Marina Bay Sands Hotel |
Its such a
weird looking building. I took so many pictures of it, from all angles over the
next couple of days. It was always staggering.
 |
| Shopping centre complete with canal |
In the
shadow of Marina Bay Sands is a rather fancy shopping centre. It has a canal
running through it! You can take a boat ride around three sides of this enormous place.
 |
| Gardens by the Bay |
On the other
side of the hotel is the Gardens by the Bay and this is what I chose to explore
first. This was also very impressive and completely free to walk around. There
are a couple of conservatories which were rather expensive to enter and looked
packed with people so I skipped that. I did, however, choose to go over the
sky walk where you could see the Singapore Flyer.
 |
| This is real! |
I went back
to the Marina Bay Sands and took the lift to the top floor viewing deck. The
view from up here was incredible.
 |
| Nice pool |
 |
| Rich bastards |
There’s a
swimming pool at the top but that’s for hotel guest only, lucky bastards. Mind
you, they have paid a silly amount of money for the privilege. I used the superzoom
on my camera to see if I could spot any celebrities but I didn’t notice any.
 |
| The pit straight |
I got very
excited when I saw the pit straight of the grand prix track. There are stands
there permanently and the last corner
stays there too. It’s the only recognisable part of the track. The rest is
disguised in the every day use of the roads. I tried to figure out where the
track was but I needed a map.
 |
| Sunset |
I stayed up
on the viewing deck for over an hour to watch the sunset and see the view of
the city by night. This was even more impressive then by day!
 |
| This is still real and not a model |
 |
| I love this photo! |
 |
| Pretty |
I saw the
Gardens by the Bay light show whilst I was up there too. The supertrees did lots
of fancy things using the lights. Like the ultimate Christmas trees.
 |
| A day at the zoo |
I was up
early the next day to get to Singapore Zoo. I heard its world class and I don’t
even remember the last time I went to a zoo. I wanted to explore the city a bit
more but I didn’t want to do the zoo on a Saturday so I went today instead. I decided I would spend the
morning at the zoo and do something else in the afternoon. This didn’t happen.
The zoo was so good I couldn’t leave until it was almost closing time.
There were
so many animals! Some I’ve never even seen or heard of before. There was such
variety as well with like a million different monkeys! That might be an exaggeration
but it seemed a lot. I felt like I barely scratched the surface before it was
time for the elephant show.
 |
| Elephants |
 |
| Performing tricks |
Animals
performing for people is always a bit of a concern but this is Singapore and it’s a bit
more civilised. I’m pretty confident these animals are treated properly. They
seemed happy anyway.
 |
| Called Ellie |
 |
| Squirting water at her mate |
The trainers
got the elephants to do a few tricks like stand raise legs and squirt water.
They showed their strength when one of them pushed a huge log off a rock and into
the water and then rolled it all the way back again. They are impressive
beasts. At the end there was the opportunity to feed them as well. I watched
the feeding but didn’t take part. I didn’t want to spend the extra money
 |
| Animal show |
 |
| Boo! Argh! |
There wasn’t
a long time before another show started in the amphitheatre next door. This show had a wider variety of animals. It started out with monkeys running across the
rope vines that went over our heads. Then there was a bird section with all
kind of flamboyant and exotic birds.
 |
| Proud looking bird |
 |
| SNAKE! |
They brought
out a small snake and asked for volunteers from the audience. No one was in a
hurry to get on stage with her waving a snake around. A woman got nominated by
her kids and went on stage to stroke the snake. Behind her they brought out a
much larger snake which made her jump a little. She was surprisingly calm about
it actually. It would have been funnier if she’d freaked out.
 |
| What a beast! |
 |
| Wouldn't want my leg in there |
The absolute
highlight of entire day at the zoo was the feeding of the white tigers. These
are proper beasts. They looked quite happy and calm at the back until they
brought the food out and then they started pacing up and down. One of the
tigers looked me straight in the eye and jumped down into the water in front of
me. I was momentarily terrified! I may have jumped back from the fence a little at that point!
I had
already been there a few hours but there was still so much left to see. Even
more monkeys, seals and penguins, more exotic birds, big grizzly bears and a
reptile house with all kinds of lizards, snakes and turtles.
 |
| Flying fox |
I went into
this enclosed part that was supposed to be a bit more rainforesty and there
even more amazing animals to look at. The path wandered up into the canopy so you could really close to the flying foxes and the other birds up there.
 |
| Very pretty |
 |
| Passed out |
These made
me laugh. They were completely asleep. Check out the one at the bottom of the
picture! He’s gonna wake up with a sore neck!
 |
| Leopard |
 |
| Mufasa |
Still not done,
I went over to where the larger animals were. Unfortunately it was now mid
afternoon and all the would-be scary animals were asleep and not particularly
imposing.
 |
| Giraffes |
 |
| Zebra bums |
 |
| Selfie with a cheetah! |
What an
awesome picture!!! I don’t know what was wrong with him but this cheetah was
pacing up and down the window relentlessly so I sat in the corner and, with
careful timing, snapped this beauty!
 |
| Charge! |
 |
| Very much not the north pole! |
I made my
way over to the polar bear enclosure just in time for the feeding. It was in
part of the ice section where they were a few other cold lovers. I was
surprised to see that the polar bear was quite happy to be outside in the 30+
heat. I wanted to stay in the cold bit. It was such sweet relief but I went out
into the little stage bit where the tank was to watch them do the feeding.
 |
| Going for a dip |
 |
| Dinner time |
 |
| effin flamingos |
 |
| Want some face with that nose?! |
I had heard
the zoo was good but it was so incredibly awesome I did not want to leave! I
had such an great day. So many different type of animals.
 |
| Little India food court |
On the way
back to my hostel I stopped off in Little India where I found a food court that
had cheap curries. I got hustled into one by a real Indian man as I was
walking around. So much so that I forgot I needed to get money out to pay for
it! I realised this about half way through my meal and I was a bit worried to
find out what would happen. The man was quite trusting when I told him I would go to the ATM and come back to pay him. I could easily have walked off. I
didn’t though because I’m a decent human being!
 |
| Sentosa Island |
 |
| Fantasy land |
My third and
final day in Singapore gave me no time to rest. It was another packed day
walking around the city starting off with Sentosa Island. This is a small
island just outside the city that’s like a big playground. I had intended to
only be there for an hour or so but, as it was yesterday, it proved too good to
leave. You could take a cable car over the water or you could do what I did and
just take the walkway for free.
 |
| Universal Studios |
 |
| Looking over the fence |
I didn’t
realise there was a Universal Studios here. I was very very tempted to go in
and go on the rides and that. It was nearly midday on a Saturday so the place
was packed. I would be queueing for hours if I went in so I decided against it.
It’s a shame I didn’t have more days in Singapore. It wasn’t the only thing I
didn’t have time to do. I peaked over the gate to try and see as much as I
could.
 |
| Lake pond fountain thing |
 |
| Some big letters and an even bigger lion |
I spent some
time walking around the other bits of the park. The hotel and lion were quite
impressive to look at. It was like being in a fantasy land. I walked for a bit
and suddenly found myself in the middle of a forest with nothing around me. It was quite a contrast
 |
| Into the forest |
 |
| Old army bunker |
I followed
the path to the top past a couple of ‘waterfalls’. They weren’t real
waterfalls, they were just made to look like they were. At the top was a
definitely real WWII bunker.
 |
| Chinatown |
 |
| Big Chinese writing |
 |
| All things Chinese |
I walked
back over the water to the train station. The next area I wanted to explore was
Chinatown. This was mostly consisted of market stalls so I didn’t spend too long
here. It’s the weird thing about Singapore. You have these massive ultra modern
buildings right next to these little suburbs where you can eat for really cheap. So multicultural too with a Chinatown, Little India and Malaysian
section.
 |
| Big shopping centre |
I went to
another part of the city using my unlimited subway pass. This part was the
commercial district where there were like a million different shopping centres.
Most of them were really posh too.
 |
| WWII relics |
 |
| Cannon |
Back on the
subway again I went to another area where there were a few other old wartime
things to look at. From here I walked all the way down to the harbour checking
out the sites.
 |
| Buildings and stuff |
 |
| Very grand |
 |
| F1 Bridge |
On my walk I
went across the bridge which is part of the Formula 1 track. There are very few
clues as to wear the track went but with the help of a map I managed to figure
it out.
 |
| Fountain of Wealth |
 |
| Bugis street marker |
I carried on
walking (I did SOOO much walking!) I went to the Fountain of Wealth which is a
rather impressive roundabout and then on to Bugis Street Market.
 |
| Chaos |
This was a
mental labyrinth of market stalls that was absolutely packed with people. I
couldn’t handle this on an empty stomach so I went to the cheap food court next
door and bought some local food (something with rice). There were about 50
different food stalls to go to with 4 different areas to eat in. I walked
around to find something good and I realised I was the only Westerner in the
whole place!
 |
| So pretty at night |
 |
| The Helix Bridge |
 |
| Live music |
My legs were
about to fall off by now so after I had walked back to the harbour I found
myself somewhere to sit whilst I waited for night to come. Just as it did I
heard some live music start just along the harbour front so I went to watch
that. They were quite good. Quite chilled kind of music. It was nice to relax
after an epic three days.
 |
| Very clever |
 |
| Impressive |
The day
wasn’t done yet though. I had been waiting around to see the lightshow on the
harbour front. This was a free thing that happens twice every night. I expected a
few lasers and stuff but it was so much more than that. The projected a video
onto the water spray as if it were a big sheet of paper. The detail of it was
quite amazing.
 |
| Supertrees |
 |
| Gardens by the Bay light show |
One more
thing to do. Just one! I was so tired by now. I wanted to see the Gardens By
The Bay show from up close. I had sort of seen it twice already but from a
distance. This time I went in the gardens and laid on the ground with everybody
else. This was the best way to do because you could here the music which made it so much better.
 |
| Lie back and relax |
I finally
went back to the hostel for some well earned sleep. I had such an epic three
days in Singapore. I could have easily spent a week here and still not be bored!
The next morning I caught the bus to cross the border into Malaysia. Next stop,
Kuala Lumpur.
No comments:
Post a Comment