Friday, 16 January 2015

Return To Oz

1st-7th Jan 2015

New year and a new adventure. There wasn't much of a leaving party or emotional farewells this time around. I suppose its because I've just shown how easy it is to just casually turn up at home. OK, so the commute is a bit long and a bit expensive but the other side of the world isn't as far away as you might think. Just a day on a plane.

Speaking of. I boarded the plane at 10.30pm on New Years Eve so I just missed out on any new years celebrations. It was all a bit confusing on the plane as the crew had planned a countdown at midnight UK time but we were flying over Holland an hour earlier where it had just turned midnight. Holland has a lot of fireworks! I'm used to seeing all the lights of small towns but it looked as though each and every one was flashing and sparkling. As the message slowly filtered around the plane to 'look out the window' there was a general murmur of 'Happy New Year'.

Come midnight UK time there was an announcement that there was a proposal which was a few rows in front of me. There was champagne for them and a few seats around them and everyone clapped so I'm guessing she said yes. It was all really cheesy etc. By then the moment had passed and people just drifted off to sleep. Not the most exciting of new years.

China
Several hours later I landed in China. I didn't leave the airport so I can't really tick it off my list but I can say I saw it out of the window and that I briefly breathed in the smog!

I'm Back!!!
Another hundred or so hours later I got to Sydney where it was cloudy and very humid. Going from 4-5 degrees to a sticky 30 was quite a shock to the system. I nearly melted getting from the airport to the my hostel.

Remember this?!
I spent the next morning taking a trip down memory lane. I went into the new offices of Ultimate Oz. I didn't recognise anyone though. Then I went across the road into WakeUp back where it all started! I bought a bag Twisties too. I've missed these!

YAY
I spent the rest of the day looking for cars to buy as I had a huge road trip planned that I was keen to get started on.

The next day I met my old legendary Japanese friend Hiro! He is still as much of a legend as ever. He had been working in Sydney for about a month. We went to Bondi Beach for a bit and then went for a drink.

Legend!
Bondi!
With the new Opal card in Sydney, which is a electronic transport card like the Oyster, on Sundays you get unlimited travel all day anywhere on the network for $2.50. That means you could get all the way from Wollongong to Newcastle (a 6 hour train journey) for just $2.50. Bargain! I decided I would take the ferry over to Manly and spend the day there. The boat ride is worth the $2.50 itself.

Circular Quay
That white thing that no one knows about
Coat hanger
Great View
I stayed on the beach for a few hours before the clouds started closing in. There were storms on the way apparently. I went for a walk around North Head where I unexpectedly came across some sort of old army base.

Manly Beach
No need for a door, just make a hole
Storms a' coming
The storms never really materialised which left it very sticky. Again, melting!

I nearly walked into this beast just above my head. Nearly gave me a heart attack!

Scary
Old base
I don't even know what this place is
Yard thing
Selfie stick
I met up with Hiro again the next day and I gave him lots of advice about New Zealand, where he should go and what he should do etc. It made me really miss the place and wonder if I'd made some sort of huge error returning to Oz instead of New Zealand.

I got to test out my Christmas present around the Opera House which was fun. Hiro kept shoving the map I had made him into the shot which was amusing.

MAP!
Ta daa!
Group Selfie
There were a few other people in the city I wanted to meet too. Wannes and Nele returned from up the coast with Nele's sister Alicia. tI was very strange seeing them in a different country and completely different environment. I went to meet them at Sydney Fish Market before going for a walk around Darling Harbour. It was awesome catching up with them and I would be seeing them again very soon.

MEL
I stayed in Darling Harbour that afternoon to meet up with another friend, Mel. One of the original Ultimate Ozzers, from the Adelaide crew and the Sydney road trip! We had barely sat down before we started gossipping about all the other Ultimate Ozzers we had known. We stayed in Darling Harbour for some food before walking into the CBD for a drink.

On the way into the CBD I got roped into some street theatre. Mel said we should stay and watch and I got dragged to the front and made to lie on the floor whilst this guy, who I didn't trust, drove a flaming remote control car over the top of me!

My new best friend!
So here it is! My new mode of transport, new home and my life for the next 12 months, hopefully. Its my first ever car! 330,000kms over the last 22 years so its no spring chicken. Its got a few bumps and scratches and the front left indicator was hanging off untilIi taped it back on but it seems mechanically sound and I hope to god it lasts the duration of the road trip I have planned. It'll be an absolute miracle if it last to the end without either it breaking or me crashing it!

The plan is to drive from Sydney to Cairns via the south, west and north coastlines and the through the middle over the course of the next 12 months.

The first leg is Sydney to Canberra to Melbourne...

No comments:

Post a Comment