Sunday, 20 April 2014

An Epic Weekend In Queenstown

23rd - 26th Jan 2014

On the bar we give out heaps of prizes and it promotes the things you can do down in Queenstown. It means that, as a thank you, we get to go and do all the stuff for free so in the last weekend in January Oscar sent Gavin and I to Queenstown for a very mental weekend!

Contiki bus
It was a very early start to get a free ride down on the Contiki bus with Hayley and Steve as the drivers. It was so nice to get out of town and have a conversation with someone that doesn't involve the question "Is cider on happy hour?". There was a quiz on the bus which the team I was on would have won if it wasn't for a spelling mistake! Not that a bitter about that at all!

funny sign
Waterfall
We stopped a bit further down the road at a place called Dragon Falls I think. We took a few photos and made our way over the Hasst Pass. This is where a few months ago a huge landslide killed a couple of people. One of them still hasn't been found as far as I am aware. Hayley and Steve have this thing when they go past any kind of roadworks they have to put on there cone hats.

Hasst Pass
After going over the pass we left the rainforest with its rain behind and it opened out to some stunning scenery around Lake Wanaka.

Lake Wanaka

Mountains!
More mountains
We arrived in Wanaka in time for dinner where I treated myself to a Subway. That's the thing about Franz Josef, there's a severe lack of takeaways! I would have liked to explore a little bit more of Wanaka but I'll be back.

Lake Wanaka
Weird hand thing

Just outside Wanaka is Puzzle World, somewhere I've been wanting to go ever since I heard about it. Hayley managed to sneak me in free so that was a bonus. The first part is an epic two story maze where to complete it you have to get to each corner in a certain order. Now I pride myself of my sense of direction. I always remember my way back to a place even if its a year later. This maze however is the most frustrating hour of my life!

Maze
Eventually I managed to get round but I got lost so many times! I did manage to do it before most of the rest though so at least thats something.

Mental
Then I went into the main building where the was a whole heap of cool stuff. There was a room built on a slant with all kind of crazy things to mess with your head, a room full of faces that follow you around the room, a room where your small at one side and huge at the other and heaps of other cool stuff.

Slanted room
Messing with your mind
the first one is easy!
Midget?
People or pillars?
Straining!
Its falling!
I got it!
Then it was on to Queenstown. As you can see my hair was getting ridiculous so the first thing I did was get a hair cut! Then we hit the bars where we bumped into Hayley and her friend. Hayley kept getting us free drinks so we kept her supplied with shots and it was a really good night. So nice to go out somewhere that isn't Monsoon or Blue Ice! It was also nice to get drunk food from McDonalds!

Road to QT
Party time
Crazy indoor fire
The next day was the worst/best day of my life. I woke up a little hungover, walked over to the office still half asleep, jumped on a bus, sat in a chair and then jumped off a bridge!

Nevis Bungy!
The whole time leading up to it I just wasn't with it. It was like I was pretending it wasn't happening. Sarah had organised it for us for free so it wasn't as if I could just not do it! Gavin got out of it because he'd fallen off a building a few months earlier and they were worried about the concussion he'd had.

As I was the heaviest of the group (joy!) I had to go first so I didn't even have time to watch anyone else do it. Before I knew it I was getting strapped up and hobbling over to the ledge. Terrified is not the word. It was so high up, 134m to be exact! And you have to jump off, you can't be pushed or dropped. You have to go agaisnt all natuaral instinct and jump!

Argh!
So I'm on the ledge and "1,2,3, Go!"
Wo wo wo, they were not seconds!
"1, 2, 3, GO!"
WAIT I'M STILL NOT READY!....................OK
"1, 2, 3, GO!
AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

As I fall my shoulder twists round awkwardly like it likes to do every now and then so I rip it back and I say rip because that's what it felt like. OW! and I'm still falling towards the ground but now in a lot of pain!

Jump
I think the adrenaline kicked in after the first bounce so I started screaming/laughing and enjoyed the rest of it. I was buzzing for about 3 hours after. I cannot believe I did it. The bungy jump is a huge thing to tick of my bucket list. Not that it was even on there because I didn't think I would be able to do it! I'm so glad I did it and I would like to do it again I think but only if i was made to do again. Not volunteering for that! My shoulder hurt for about a week after this!

Bungy video!
On the drive back into Queenstown I was able soak in the beautiful scenery surrounding the town. There was snow on the hills which I told, for January, is extremely rare.

The remarkables (walls of mordor)
Snow!
When Gavin couldn't do the bungy he went in search of the Canyoning trip so he was away doing that. I was trying to get hold of the manager of the Canyon Swing but she was on her way to Franz Josef so she had no signal. So instead I took a bit of a walk around Queenstown trying to make sense of what I'd just done!

Awesome
Queenstown is one of most amazing scenic places I've ever been, possibly even the best. Around every corner and from every angle the place is just stunning! Even more so from up the cable car.

The lake
Queenstown
Big ass tree
When Gavin came back from his trip we thought we'd go do the Luge rides at the top of the hill. For that we had to go up the cable cars at the view from the top is simply ridiculous. It was unbelievable. There are no words or pictures that can describe how beautiful it looks!

Cable car
AMAZING!

After we dragged ourselves away from the viewpoint we headed for the Luge. Now, I thought this would be fun but it was so much better than that. I did not expect to enjoy this half as much as I did. It was ridiculous amounts of fun!

Lift to the start of track
So Luging is basically go karts without an engine and you go down hill. They make you go on the family track first so we just sped past everyone so we could go again on the other one. You can get some serious speed and serious air in places too! So much fun! I was pretty much just laughing to myself all the way down everytime!

Luge tracks
Look how much fun we are having!
Best day ever!
Kart made out of jelly beans
Bar with a view?
On the way back to the hostel we stopped off at the world famous Fergburger which make some epic burgers believe it or not. When I say epic I mean huge. You need two hands to eat it preferably three if you can manage that! Very messy too!

Fergburger
Huge day! But its not over. After a bit of a snooze we got ready for the Big Night Out, an organised pub crawl through Queenstown. It was a bit of a shaky start as there wasn't an ice breaker and they crammed 50 people into a bar that would only comfortable hold 20. Me and Gavin managed to miss when everyone went to the Ice Bar but one of the organisers took us over so we had the place to ourselves for a half hour. It was really cool in there. You see what I did there! No but seriously the sculptures were awesome. We had a shot that was poured through one of them and drinks and served in a cup made of ice.

Ice Bar
After that we went to Loco where they were having a foam party! I haven't been to a foam party in years and I love them! So much fun!

Foamy!
Foamy foam foam
The next day the momentum did not stop. It was another early start as we had a shotover jet boat ride to attend. We were very unenthusiastic when we arrived as we were very hungover but once we got going it blew that hangover away. Speeding down the valley inches from the rock was incredible. They get so close to the sides its crazy and the spins have you gripping on.

Shotover river
Valley
If you watch the video then don't be fooled by the helicopter shots, that's obviously archive footage!

My vid
From there we had an hour wait at the cafe waiting for the White Water Rafting. We had some much needed food and then we piled on to a bus. I was very very nearly sick in the bus as it wound its way through the valley. It was warm and stuffy on the and I still wasn't feeling so great. I felt a lot better once we were in the water though. There was more floating along the river than actual rapids but when you did hit the rapids you get thrown about a bit. It was really good. There was this bit where you go through a cave that was built to divert the river for miners. I don't have any pictures or videos of this though which is a bit pants.

Sunset at the lake
And that was the weekend pretty much over. We went and hung out down by the river with the stray bus and I think I went to bed about 9pm. I was exhausted and my bus left at 7am. Gavin had another day off so he stayed out and came back a day later.

I cannot believe the stuff we did that weekend and almost all for free. I absolutely love Queenstown and I can't wait to go back!

No comments:

Post a Comment