![]() |
| Fancy Hong Kong Bus |
I hadn’t
seen much rain whilst in Asia but here it was torrential. I quickly swapped my
flip flops for trainers before I got on the bus to the city. It was about an
hour journey to the main city which slowly emerged out of the gloom.
It was night
by the time I arrived at the hostel and it took me a little while to find it in
amongst all the other blinding neon signs on the walls of buildings that line each
side of the road. The first thing I did when I got into the room was to have a
conversation. It may not seem like a big deal but this kind of thing had been
seriously lacking in the Philippines so I was very keen to have some sort of
brief social life. The guy I was chatting to actually left the next morning so
it was very brief indeed.
I went to
the supermarket around the corner to scope out the food situation. When I got
my change I marvelled at the size and weight of coins. I thought Australia had
it bad but put a few of these things in your wallet and it’s ready to burst.
The next day
I went out exploring the city. I was living just next to Nathan Road which is the
main artery running through the city. I walked down it heading for the harbour
to get a view of the skyline. On the way I walked through a park that had a lot
of animé characters in it. It was the Hong Kong Avenue of Comic Stars are the
locals were loving them.
A bit
further into the park I noticed a group of people that completely still. As I
got closer I noticed that they were actually moving, just extremely slowly. I
think it’s some sort of Tai Chi. I saw a couple of other groups doing the same
movements at various speeds.
I carried on
to find a bird house. It was free to have a look around so obviously I did. It
had a variety of different parrots.
I came across
a maze which I thought would be fun. It was built to aid the mobility of the
elderly according to a nearby sign. I completed in seconds. It was so basic I
don’t think you could even call it a maze.
I left the
park and continued to the harbour where I saw the skyline along Hong Kong
Island. It was very windy and sprinkling with rain but even with the low cloud
it was impressive to look at.
They have an
Avenue of Stars similar to Hollywood Walk of Fame but as they were building
some new skyscraper it’s moved to a nearby Garden of Stars. It has about 30 hand
prints of local movie stars. The only names I recognised were Jackie Chan and
Bruce Lee. Bruce Lee also had a statue.
As the rain
began to get heavier I took shelter in the nearby History Museum. It really was
a complete history with the first section being the geographical formation of
the islands that make up Hong Kong.
It was
interesting to learn about the early history of the area with its Chinese heritage. I knew very little about Chinese history so it was a little insight
into their story too. These paper lanterns are hung on the 12th day
of the first Chinese lunar month to announce to the Gods that a new son has
been born in the village. The lanterns are then burnt on the 15th
day.
I also
learnt about traditional wedding ceremonies. Apparently, on the eve of the
wedding the groom’s family would engage a ‘good-life woman’ (a woman who had
enjoyed a long, prolific marriage) to perform a ‘bed-installing’ fertility rite
in the nuptial chamber. I wanted to know more about what this old lady would do
to the poor young man but the information didn’t continue.
These ten
metre bun mountains that are erected for the Bun Festival are made up of 6000
steamed buns strapped into a bamboo frame. They were made as offerings to the
Gods. At midnight on the last day of the festival there would be a scramble to
grab the lucky buns from the top. This is now a sport held every year.
To be honest
I was more interested in the more recent British history of Hong Kong. This map
shows the land that’s been reclaimed from the sea and I found it quite shocking
how much the city had expanded onto the water. Especially since the millennium.
There was
quite a lot on what Hong Kong was like under British rule. There was a cinema
that showed a few different things on life in the 60s and 70s. One thing that
made me laugh in this video was the description of the tea houses back in the
day. It casually described how people would meet in a tea house after taking
their pet bird for a walk and they would hang the cage on a rack as they
entered. Excuse me? Apparently that was quite normal.
There was
also a bit of the government side of things. How Britain came to own Hong Kong
Island and lease the surrounding area for 99 years. Hong Kong Island is really
quite small compared to the overall country of Hong Kong. When the lease was
up, Britain choose to give back the whole city to the Chinese rather than split
it in half.
There was
actually surprisingly little about the reunification with China. There was just
a short video showing the ceremony. I was very interested to know how the
people here felt about being Chinese again. I know there have been protests. I
think I got my answer as I entered a nearby shopping centre and saw a couple of
protesters outside of it.
The sun had
come out whilst I had been in the museum (4 hours I was in there for!). I went
back to the harbour to get a better view of the Hong Kong skyline.
I went back
to the hostel and got chatting to some of the new arrivals. I was talking to
Christina and Nicolai for a good few hours and I invited them to join me the
next day when I went to meet Alec. I had met him on the Sapa Valley trek. He
lives in Hong Kong and knew the best places around.
The four of
us jumped off the bus at the bottom of Hong Kong Island for the Dragon's Back hike. It goes over the top of a ridge and then down to a beach. There was a
good view from the top and the weather was much better than the day before. There was a glider flying around and he got a bit cocky with how close he was getting to the hill side.
| Glider |
| The eagles are coming |
| The Dragons Back |
| The beach |
That night
the four of us went to Mr Wong’s, a legendary place amongst backpackers. It had
been recommended to me a few times and Alec knew it well although he did get a
little lost looking for the place. It’s an all-you-can-eat and
all-you-can-drink place for cheap but Mr Wong himself is the real attraction. I’ve
no idea what he was saying most of the time but he laughs a lot so you just
laugh along with him.
We took our
fill of beer and Chinese food and then searched for cheap Karaoke place with
the rest of the restaurant (about 15 people by the time we left). We found
somewhere but it wasn’t cheap and no one was keen. The bigger group went into
the city for a night out but we decided to keep looking for a cheaper karaoke place.
We went into a few places that said karaoke on the signs but were clearly not
karaoke places at all. After trying our look at a few dodgy places we gave up and went
back to the hostel.
| Enormous crab in a shop window |
| Catching the ferry |
| On Hong Kong Island |
| Big modern buildings and old ones too |
The next day
Nicolai, Christina and I went over to Hong Kong Island to explore the city and take a trip up Victoria Peak.
We walked in
the vague direction of the tram getting ourselves lost a couple of times. We
ended up in a super fancy hotel after walking through a shopping centre. I’m
sure this place would have plenty of celebrities in it but we didn’t stick
around. We continued past the super modern skyscrapers and the older stone
buildings. There certainly was an interesting contrast here.
The Victoria
Peak tram trundles up at a ridiculous incline. It felt almost 45 degrees at some points but I don’t
think it is. The tram line is 90 years old but they’ve ungraded it a few times over the years.
The tram arrives at a shopping centre with 5 floors to go up before you get to
the actual viewing platform.
The view of
the city from up here was pretty awesome. We were giving these headsets that
give us an overview of what we were looking at and a brief history of the city.
It was interesting as you can see in the not-staged-at-all photo.
We got the
tram back down to city and headed towards the harbour. We walked through the
older part of the city where the streets are narrower and the buildings taller.
There’s a lively bar area that would be cool to visit at night but it was a bit
early in the day to experience it at that moment. Gordon Ramsay’s restaurant
was just around the corner from there.
We got the
ferry back over to the main city just as the sun was setting. It was quite hazy
so it reminded me of sunsets in Laos and Myanmar.
We stuck
around on the harbour front to watch the lightshow that happens at the
weekends. This was a massive let down. There were a few flashing neon signs and
some lasers but that was pretty much it. Nothing like the show in Singapore.
The buildings all lit up at night is, however, an impressive sight. I spent
some time trying to get the perfect picture.
That was it
for the day. We were tired so we went back to the hostel where we hung out for
a little bit before going to bed. It was so nice to have some company again
after being quite lonely in the Philippines. Nicolai was leaving the next day,
though, and I spent the next day without Christina in Macau.
![]() |
| Catching the ferry |
![]() |
| America, that way |
I finally
arrived in Macau a few hours later than I had planned after the 60 minute ferry
journey. The first thing and most exciting thing I wanted to see in Macau was
the Formula 1 museum. I was really looking forward to seeing this only to find
out when I arrived on the doorstep that it’s closed on Tuesdays! Well that was
bloody annoying.
| The old Lisboa |
| The new Lisboa |
As I walked
down towards the older part of the city I noticed the buildings change from
modern skyscrapers to the colonial buildings from the Portuguese era. Sometimes
a building was both at the same time with a skyscraper simply built on top of
the older building.
| Senado Square |
| Busy! |
| The Ruins of St Paul's |
| A view of the old city |
| The old fort |
| A few cannons |
| Macau Tower |
| Galaxy Casino |
| The whole complex |
| Cheeky monkeys |
| Colourful |
| Big fountain |
| Huge diamond |
| Sparkling Crystals |
| Big casino |
| St Mark's Square |
| Venetian canals |
| I found the front, its huge! |
| Teleported to Paris |
I wanted to
see it at night so I had a couple of hours to kill. I went back into the
Venetian and onto the largest casino floor in the world. I tried my luck on
the roulette table. I decided I would limit myself to fifty Hong Kong Dollars.
I did really well and managed to increase it to $450. I should have cashed out
at this point but I was winning. I slowly lost it all.
Mind you I
was nearly robbed of it way before I gambled it away. Literally.
Some woman came over and sat next to me. She put a card in the card reader a
couple of times. I thought she was trying to show me something but then it
seemed odd and I asked her ‘what are you doing?’ before putting my hand over
the reader. She muttered something in Chinese before wandering off. Only when
she left did I realise she was trying to take my credit. I blame her for me
losing my money. It completely put me off.
| The Venetian |
| Galaxy |
| Old Lisboa |
| New Lisboa |
On the way
back to the boat I walked through yet another casino and I was treated to some
dancing fountains. I got some pretty cool pictures with the other casinos in
the background.
I had a great day in Macau despite the bad start but that was time up for Macau and in fact Hong Kong. The next day I said good bye to
Christina before going to the airport to catch my flight. I really enjoyed Hong
Kong. Hanging out with Nicolai, Christina and Alec was just what I needed after
a disappointing and lonely time in the Philippines. I felt revitalised and reenergised
just in time for my trip to Beijing.







No comments:
Post a Comment