Sunday, 29 March 2015

Come on Tim!

19th-20th January 2015

Here's something else I have always wanted to do. It's not Wimbledon but it is the next best thing, the Australian Open. I bought a day ticket for the first day of the tournament and a ticket to the big Rod Laver Area for day 2 in the hope I would see Andy Murray. It turned out the Andy would be playing on the first day in Margaret Court so I upgraded my ticket.

Open the gates!
The gates opened at 11am on Monday and it was a bit of a free for all mob to get in but we were in fairly quickly. I went over to the practice court to see if I could find any of the stars and I did. Serena Williams and Rafar Nadal were both out there.

Legend
Legend!
After that I took my place in Margaret Court Arena for the opening match. Alexandra Dulgheru Vs Jamila Gajdosova. Exactly, who? Gajdsova was an Aussie so there at least was a bit of an atmosphere and she won.

Margaret Court Arena
Winner
I nipped out for some lunch and came back in time for the big match, Murray against some wild card entry. It wasn't exactly going to be a tough match but tickets prices for later in the tournament were quite high.

Ready?
The royal family and pope were there to watch, in a way.

Royals
the big man
the rest of the team
Judie and Kim looked pretty came through the whole match. You can just see on the right two of Andy's four piece fan band. They kept the crown entertained between changes. Some of their chants were quite funny. Unfortunately the one I videoed was the least funny but believe me the others were.

the winner is...

Yep
It was an easy game for Andy really and he soared through. He soared through all the way to the final in fact.



Berdych
I went to Court 2 after that match to see a bit of Thomas Berdych's opening match. This match looked slightly more competitive at a set each when I arrived but I didn't stay too long. Roger Federer was due on the practice courts and I really wanted to see him. Unfortunately, after I waited for half an hour, it became clear that he wasn't coming and I lost my chance to see him at this tournament.

Court 2
I went in serve of another game that was on and I found a rowdy crowd of drunken Aussie's cheering on their man in final games of the fifth set. I stayed and watched to see the Australian man win. I can't remember his name though.
Go Australian man
On the tram in the next day I spotted a familiar face walking along the street, Steve Robson from my job at home. I jumped off the tram to go say hello and he too was on his way to the tournament for day 2.

Erm..
After we got through the gates I decided I wanted to get a picture next to the giant tennis ball so I asked the Asian girl that was just casually stood next to it if she could move so I could get a picture. There must have been a bit of a language barrier as instead of moving she posed for the photo! Possibly the funniest moment of the year so far!

Heather Watson
Me, Steve and his mate went to watch British hopeful Heather Watson in her opening game in one of the outside courts. She was doing well and far out ranked her opponent but she suffered with period cramps and lost.

Rod Laver Arena
Steve and his mate only had day tickets so I left for the Rod Laver Arena. The first game of the day was Wawrinka, who was the defending champion, against...someone.

Wawrinka
It wasn't all that busy in there so I snuck down the front for a better view but after he won and Djokovic was due I had to retreat to the rafters.
See I was there!



The world number 1

A bit fuller
The match was just as easy for Djokovic as it was for Wawrinka, both winning there opening games. Despite not seeing Nadal or Federer play I actually managed to watch the opening games of all four quarter finalists with Murray and Berdych being the other two. Steve had tickets to the final which made me enormously jealous where Murray succumbed to Djokovic. It was a great coulple of days. I am very glad I went. Next stop Wimbledon!

Winning

No comments:

Post a Comment