Friday, 15 August 2014

Ohakune: Life in Snow Motion

1st July - 27th July 2014

SNOW!
A little bit later than we hoped but the snow finally arrived allowing us to open up the ski field. The ironic thing was that as it had snowed all the way down to town so we couldn't actually get on the mountain at first until they had cleared the snow. I was already out of bed so I had a little walk around and took some pictures.

Home
Chaining up
After stopping at the chain bay we made it up to the top and finally got to see what Turoa Skifield looked like with snow on it. Pretty damn good is the answer.

SNOW!
We only had a couple of days before the school holidays started and the madness truly began. I didn't get any time to practise on the tills as I was outside for the first two days, its not all just selling tickets. We are outside 2 or 3 days a week either ticket checking or selling chain hire on the mountain road. My first day was ticket checking on the beginner area which was didn't really involve much ticket checking, more dragging kids from the scanner to the carpet.

Alpine Meadow
Huge icicle!
On the second day I was ticket checking at the bottom of the Movenpick and Parklane chairs which is way more fun on a busy day. I spend most of my time here dancing around with my ipod in one ear or high fiving kids as they go through. Occasionally I have to radio in a problem with a pass.

you lift me up!
ticket barriers
Heaps of snow!
Winter wonderland
I must admit I spent most of the first few days taking pictures of everything I could because everything looked awesome and I've come to realise these bluebird days as they call them are quite rare.

Down the mountain
Ruapehu looking good
I went up the chairlift for the first time on a lunch break. I only went up the first one to the Snowflake Cafe just so I could see a little bit more of the mountain.

Ride on the Parklane Chair
Looking stunning as per
I met up with Hamish and Rose who were working in town. I first met them in Franz Josef where we worked together for a few months. They are now working in Ohakune and in the first week of July it was Hamish's birthday. We went to the pizzeria for a few drinks. Hamish was happy its just the only photo I've got. We have met up a few times for a beverage or two. Always nice to catch up with these two.

Not so happy birthday?
A few days later I had a day off so I could finally throw some skis on and go out for a play. It was really good in the morning but the wind picked up in the afternoon blowing the snow and ice into your face. Still I had a really good day.

Skis!
Spot the volcano in the background
Bit windy!
The next day the wind had increased and we were closed for the day. A few of us were still brought in to work to do some bits and bobs. The wind whipped the clouds up to make for a dramatic looking sky and the following morning there was a very red sunrise!

Windy much
The apocalypse!
Snow on my birthday is another first. I didn't actually snow but I was outside walking around in it all day. Its also the first time I've ever worked on my birthday. I normally manage to avoid it but this time I decided I would get the day after off so I could have a drink that night. Lets face it, this was easily the best job to be doing on a birthday!

on my birthday
After work we went out to the pizza place in town. Most of the department came plus Hamish and Rose. Then we went next door to the Lodge Bar for drinks. Most people had work the next day so they weren't up for drinking loads but I made the most of it. I had a couple of shots and then I was cut off unfairly. I was the only person drinking in the bar really so it just looked worse than it actually was!

Taranki looking good
Hidden Valley, a different staff accommodation building, threw a party on the Sunday night. They had a bonfire outside which was actually warmer to stand next to then it was inside to stand inside. It was a good night with there being a lot of staff there and now that everyone knew each other.

FIRE! BURN!
Hidden Valley
SNOW!
That night there was a large snow fall just in time for my day off and my first ever time on a snowboard. After a longer than usual bus ride to the top, because we had to fit chains, I strapped a plank to my feet and attempted to look cool!

BOARDING!
I was going to grab a lesson but Wannes (the other guy from our department) spent the whole day teaching me which was pretty cool. He was a really good teacher. I think I did surprisingly well on my first time. Its so much harder to pick up than skiing. When I first went skiing I had pretty much cracked it by the end of my first day but with snowboarding its taking a lot more effort to get used to. Its so easy to slam into the ground if you catch an edge that it makes you less willing to try and once you're in pain your determination goes out the window. Still for my first go I did well. I even managed to get all the way down an easy run without falling over (I fell over right at the top and again at the bottom but that counts as getting all the way down the run without falling over!)

Wannes (teacher)
Rookie!
The excitement didn't stop there, we brought the snow down with us to town. As we walked to the quiz night at Kings it started snowing big fat fluffy flakes which got everyone rather excited.

Snow outside kings
The quiz night at Kings on a Monday has become a regular thing now and we tend to do quite well. We've come 3rd twice now and we are hoping to get at least get second very soon!

Still snowing
Looking good
I am aware that most of this blog is just pictures of snow and ice but it looks so good! My first time down the chain bay was on a bluebird day and the mountain looked stunning. My job at the chain bay is just to charge all the 2-wheel drive cars $30 and sit back whilst the roadies fit them. Pretty cruisey really.

The school holidays were over and it had been hard work for all departments so RAL kindly organised a staff night for everyone with the catchy title of 'Staff Appreciation Night'. There was a small speech from one of the bosses, a raffle draw, a couple of free drinks and lots of food but that the absolute highlight of the night was when Dave stormed into the bar with his bagpipes and blasted out has national music!




Party night
The first month here has gone ridiculously fast and the winter is storming by very quickly. I'm so busy all the time with working hard and various socials every other night. I try to spend as much of my days off up the mountain learning to snowboard or throwing my skis on so I can go up higher. This place is fast becoming one of my favourite places I have been whilst travelling and its a definite nominee for best job ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment